Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
beefchub

CDR/RW Burning with Whistler

One of the features I'm looking forward to (but I'm sure Adaptec isn't) is built in support for CDR/RW in Whistler. The vision is as follows, and I quote the coveted Beta 1 feature guide:

"enables users to save information to a CD... as easily as saving to a floppy disk or hard disk.... without the need for third-party software"

readme.txt also calls for upgrades to run a lengthy uninstall of Adaptec 4.XX which involves some registry hacks.

Once the upgrade has completed, I'm unable to burn with the built-in burn software. Has anyone had any luck with this new feature, and is there a sepearte GUI for burning, or is it strictly drag-n-drop?

I use it by right clicking on the file(s) i want to put on the cd, and choosing Send to CD,or whatever its called. Then you right click on the drive in My Computer, and choose Write Now, or somfin similar (i dont have a burner in this PC at the moment, so i cant rememeber the exact names.

heh. I can imagine home users now with unreliable CDRW's. Where'd my files go? But I burned them? I backed up all my important stuff on there!!!! heheheheheh

Select files then right click over them and select Send To-->Writable CD

Then when you are done right click on the CD-R/RW drive and choose Write to CD. You can set write speeds and crap in the Properties menu of the burner. It used to work for me now it says it cant write to the scratch file.

I dont get it and I dont care. Adaptec software serves me just fine and I can tell how much is on the disk unlike the built in function in whistler. Also I dont see a way of making audio disks or writing mp3-->wav. Hopefully they will improve BIG TIME on the CD burning feature. Im sure they can buy the tech from someone and incorporate it.

I love this OS! Apps and games have never been happier onmy machine since installing it!

what the hell are you talking about? That feature is a hell of a lot more reliable that Adaptec, Nero, or any of the other ones, and hell, it's not even a finished feature. I use it all the time and find it to be faster and more reliable than any 3rd party software. I'm sure it'll be improved by the time it's done and over with, but as of now, on my system with what I have, it's much better overall

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 26 November 2000).]

because the facts are the facts are the facts...everything in Whistler is better on my machine, I couldn't care less who's machine is doing what to them, and at what times. It runs better here, it probably

always will run better. Why do you think that I always defend it? Duh, it's obvious. It's too bad that people are not getting what they want from it, but hey, that's your problem, not mine. I try to help people, wow, isn't it something that my ICQ list has jumped from 74 to 141 in 3 months from people asking my authorization because they want Whistler help. If you really want help, I suggest news.microsoft.com and look for the public whistler forums in there.

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 26 November 2000).]

I've had mixed results with the burning software so I just wanted to see what others were experiencing. Personally, I think I will stick with adaptec. Although there were some issues with 4.0 on Win2k at first, the patch from adaptec seems to fix all these problems.

Since this portion of whistler isn't very stable yet, I think I will stick with old reliable for now.

in the final, it'll absoluutly kick ass. i managed to crash explorer by changing directories while the "burning to cd" box was up, whcih in turn coastered the cd. easy cd was able to recover the cd by closing the session and opening a new one after it (itd only written about 100 meg in small files) so i coudsl resume the cd and all was fine, but since then iv got used it.

don't get me wrong, it has a long way to go, but that's the definition of "beta"...if your going to install it, your going to have to suffer the bugs. But in the little while that it has been a beta, it has been very successful, unlike Windows NT 5.0 Beta 1, which I couldn't even use properly, I had to wait until Beta 2 before I could even do any worth while in it. So Whistler is looking good at the stage that it's at. Anyone want to venture a guess on Beta 2's build number? I guess 2396 smile

see ya

Hey JD if that feature is sooooo goddamned reliable then why did I get scratch file errors and adaptec software has yet to fail me? Yeah I know its beta and for now I'll stick with adaptec. So THATS what the hell Im talking about.

So we are all happy that you are having this orgasmic experience using the whistler burn to cd feature.

Hey Lord Data, I have doubts that Microsoft will make the burning aspect of Whistler as feature packed as EZ CD creator. They will make it better but probably not on that scale. It WILL kick ass IF they do though.

Happy Beta testing.

you really need to shut...the hell....up!

I try to say things here without putting down the person that posted the message. Obviously, I have respect for the user that posts, but when you start to call the poster names and stuff or say things about organisms and shit, that's just childish. But, if you really want me to get nasty, i'll tell you this..

Your CD-burner sucks if it burns incorrectly and/or you have finally got it through your thick head what the definition of "beta" is all about, if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 28 November 2000).]

JD... You sir are an idiot

My burner works just fine. I KNOW what a beta is. Where did I whine or complain about anything? I only noted a problem I experienced with it and I actually said I loved OS. There are a TON of quirks with this BETA and I accept it, why? Because its a fuggin BETA. So f*ck off moron.

Whistler rules, we both agree. You have no problems with your burner, I DID when using the send to feature. It actually works fine now. I still want to see more functionality built into it by the final release. Until then Adaptec will be the software I use.

NOW LETS SHAKE HANDS AND DROP THE SUBJECT.

see this? see this DosFreak? here is another one of *THEM*, here is an example I was talking to you about the other day, you throw them the meat, they run for it everytime. If I didn't post this, and I said "looks who is an idiot" or something like that, guess what? he would continue on, it's funny how people have to resort to childish name calling which I may add is the first resort of a dumb person or the last resort of someone that knows they have lost or has no power left to fight with. I'll end it on that note. But I'm starting to find a lot of *THEM* around here...

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 28 November 2000).]