Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ryo-Ohki

Upgrading from Win2k Pro to Whister Beta 1 Pro

Has anybody tried upgrading? I'm kinda wondering because I was thinking of giving it a try and I'd like to know if there was any major problems...There is some stuff in the readme1st.txt for whistler, but I was wondering if anybody here had any suggestions for me.

If it is Whistler Personal Beta1, afaik you can not do an upgrade install from Windows 2000. The Pro, Server, and Advanced Server versions of Whistler will permit an upgrade install, but I am not sure whether or not MS has released those yet.

Shrink

I have not tried to upgrade W2K to Whistler Beta 1. I instead made a 5 gig partition on one of my drives and installed a clean copy of Beta 1. I'm now dual booting W2K and Whistler without any problems.

I would recommend dual booting just to make sure you are not going to have any hardware or safotware issues with Beta 1. If all goes well for me in the next few days with testing all my current W2K software and games I will make the switch over but not untill all my current software is working with it.

Umm....dont upgrade. It really screwed up my system (fatally ended install before I got to the first screen) and I had to re-install everything. As with every other MS product, this one can't upgrade worth crap either.

I have just run upgrades on a handful of OEM machines (dell, toshiba, compaq, nec) from 2K SP1 and we did not encounter many major issues. Compared to the driver issues found in early releases of 2K, the upgrade has been a breeze!

ACPI has been intact on all of the systems, but there have been some odd hibernate/suspend bugs with some laptops, but no major show stoppers.

in the readme it calls for uninstalling WinMedia 7 before upgrading, but I have ran upgrades w/ WM7 installed and did not have any issues.

I have also upgraded some 98SE and ME systems to WhistPro w/out any major issues.

Overall I have been very impressed with the upgrade process especially since the product is very much a beta product.

I would reccomend running with 128mb of ram though because there is a very noticeable perfromance hit with 64. Ideal environment would be 256, besides ram is cheap so splurge!

One thing- on every upgrade the Parallel Class Enumerator would show up as flagged in Device Manager, anyone else seeing this?

went from Windows 2000 Professional to Whistler Professional 2296 without a problem, as long as ZoneAlarm is disabled if it's running, that's about the only thing I had to do.

I tried the upgrade (pro) initally, and after a lock up during install, my systems hdd was no longer bootable, so i gave up and booted from the cd and installed it fresh.