Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JBoDEAN

ACPI Enabling?

If I installed win98se, and I noticed that my ACPI is disabled in the bios. Can I enable it and will it work? I heard if you enable it, you have to format / reinstall.

Ive only heard of that reformatting in relation to Win2k.

If your system runs fine, I really wouldnt bother with it.

In my experience, turning on ACPI with Windows 98 already installed doesn't cause a problem. It will detect the new motherboard settings and you will need to reboot. That is about it.

Windows 2000 has a fit about it, though.

What is the proper procedure for enabling it? Just go into the system bios, and enable, and reboot?

I enabled ACPI, it installed all the hardware, now my IDE cdrom isnt detecting in win98se. Its a pioneer IDE cdrom, and I have an abit be6 mb.

Any Ideas?

Is it not detected at all under Device Manager? Check to see if there is a listing for it in Other Devices. If you see it in Device Manager, delete it and reboot, Windows should find it. Otherwise, run Add/Remove Hardware and see if it detects it.

Got it fixed, just had to update my scsi card drivers for some reason. Its a scsi cdrom, shows how much junk I got in this system.

How I i use ACPI now that i have it enabled? or is it working automatically? I know that when I used it in win2k, when I went into standby mode, it helped cool my overclocked processor..

If Windows detects an ACPI enabled computer it automatically utilizes its functionality.

The reason you had to reinstall your SCSI drivers is because Windows probably decided to change its IRQ to one shared with another device.

Seems like everytime I reboot win98se now, it never detects my SCSI cdrom drive.

I have to manually go into device manager, refresh a coupleof times before it pops up.

Any idea how to fix this annoying problem?

Please.

Under device Manager, see if your SCSI card is now sharing an IRQ with another device. This is one of the great strengths of ACPI, but it can also cause headaches with certain hardware. If it is sharing an IRQ, try moving the other device to a different PCI slot. This will often cause it to be assigned a different IRQ.

And do you have any other drives chained with your CD-ROM. You may want to try disconnecting them to see if the CD-ROM is detected correctly. That may help to narrow down the problem.

Nothing else it slaved to the cdrom cable.

I also believe under resources for the SCSI card it is set to automatic. Should this be set to automatic? What baffels me is that if I refresh a couple of times, it shows up..... but only if I refresh in device manager. I can look to see if it is sharing any other IRQ's. I know when I use to have WINME on, that I had conflicts iwth it sharing IRQ's...and I moved the scsi card to this slot, and it worked, so I assume this is an optimal setup.

This ACPI is a headache. HOW DO I DISABLE it? Just go into the bios, disable, then reboot? That easy??

Yep, that ought to do it. It may require you to reboot twice as it reconfigures since it will be removing the ACPI support.

ACPI seems like something to mess with only if you're having a problem. And then only try it as a last resort, before a reinstall. Ive found Windows will not play nice if you change the ACPI setting.:(

Brian, Win2k is really the only one that has a fit if you change it (and I'm assuming XP will too.) The 9x kernel doesn't contain full support of it, so it is a bit more forgiving.

Ive found out that whatever Windows has with ACPI, its best to leave it that way.

I know firsthand how bad Win2k is with ACPI changes--I had to reinstall.:(

Ive seen no reason, provided there are no problems with it, to EVER change ACPI. Its one of those things that doesnt seem to be worth it. ;(

While I dont agree with everything MS does, I think ACPI is best left untouched if at all possible. It seems changing ACPI is like changing the motherboard w/o a clean install.

OLEerror, thanx for the info.