Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jabird

Wine

alright, i am at the sourcefourge page right now trying to decide what to download, i have Redhat Linux 9 so when i scroll down to that section there are about 20 files to download... i am guessing that i just download all of them and burn it to a cd? or install straight from linux... i am on a Windows 2000 computer now because my linux box is at home so i need to download it and install all of them or just one specific?

sorry if i repeated things there smile

i also heard that their is a free wine? where would i get it? is it as good as WineX?

thanks

jabird

[edit] can wineX be maximized? because all of the screenshots i've seen of wineX running they all have shrunk down frown..

I have decided i am going to download and pay for wineX but i still gotta get everything else running on linux before i go buying that [/edit]

Generally wine = applications and wineX is a good package for gamers. Look at the home pages for each and compare them to what you need.

What are you trying to download? Wine?

Then you only have to download the most recent package - they usually are labeled something like wine-20031212, which means the date of the release is December 12, 2003.

Look at Wine HQ to get an idea of what wine is. My personal favorite page is Frank's World., Take a look at the following link;

http://linuxresource.com/Emulation_and_Simulation/Windows_Emulation/index.php

there are about 20 downloads and they all go bout like this:

wine-20031212-1fc1winehq.athlon.rpm 9105038 3664 i386 .rpm

wine-20031212-1fc1winehq.i386.rpm 9232763 3647 i386 .rpm

wine-20031212-1fc1winehq.i686.rpm 9233152 4920 i386 .rpm

i just downloaded the first one though and i will see how it goes from there... thanks alot guys

sorry if i was a pain there

ooo and do i just burn this to a cd like i would an iso, or just regularly burn it and extract it to my hdd on my linux box (i am on a windows box right now).

It looks like the one you downloaded is for Fedora Core version. I don't know if this will work on RedHat 9. Let me look at the page and see which one you may need.

You don't need to burn it to a CD, just download it to your home directory and install it. Before you do that, let me look at the page. There may also be some dependency packages that you may need.

The package that you most likely need to install is wine-20031212-1rh9winehq.i386.rpm. This is usually the safest bet, depending on what system that you have, athlon, pentium...

The rh9 in the package name means RedHat 9 version.

I believe the one that you tried to download is the fc = Fedora core version.

Once downloaded to your home directory, use the file manager to go to the home directory. Double click on the file and you should bring up the RPM install utility. Follow the directions and see if the package installs without any errors.