Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
three

win98 installation blues...help!

k, i'm building a crappy pc for a friend, and upon installation and even after installation, i keep getting bsod indicating soemthing with vxd errors...anybody know what could be wrong? after i clicked any key, it'll then give me a msgsrv32 error then it's just blank...mouse cursor can still move around..

AMD K6-2 450MHz

64MB PC133 SDram

10.1 GB IBM ATA33 IDE

50X Acer CD Rom

SIS 8MB AGP Video Card

Crappy Synnex PCI Sound

Motorolla 56K PCI Modem

man, off the top of my head, i dunno, it could be anything, try removing all non-essential hardware (i.e. Sound Card, Modem, etc.) and continuing the install. Try running setup.exe with different switches (type: "setup /?" for a list) for example, i always run 9x setups with the switch "/is" just because i hate having it scan a disc that i already know is perfectly fine. Experiment a bit, see if it helps.

[This message has been edited by EddiE314 (edited 21 March 2001).]

well, i was suspicious of the mobo since that and the cpu was the only old piece of hardware while everything was brand new...also had already noticed that a part of the mobo appeared to be burnt :P well, went out and bought a soyo board and it's running smoothly now...

Id consider burnt boards a bad thing. Just out of curiosity, what was the board maker and the chipset?

It was a Gigabyte GA-5AX rev.4 based on ALi chipset. I replaced it with a Soyo SY-5EH5+ baby AT.

Check two things... mobo and possibly even ram. Those poopy AMD k6 have been known to cause problems.

Oh,boy. That board is the fourth one Ive heard of with problems, same board. This is the third time Ive seen that board here and its not good. My friend had one, couldnt use any new video cards on it cause of some AGP voltage issue. I hope Gigabyte doesnt make all their mobos like that.

"I hope Gigabyte doesnt make all their mobos like that."

They do. Well the home user mobo's anyway.