Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

Data Loss---Read This ME users

Im not sure if everyones heard this, but if your running Windows ME with a processor of 933MHz or faster could have some problems with data being corrupted if you save something and then shut down soon after that. Something (I dont remember what) gets left behind and has to catch up. If the computer is shut off before "something" catches up, BOOM--data loss. Fortunately, MS has a patch for it under procduct updates.

I know this has been out for a few months, but I was steaming over ME at the time and not using it. ANYONE USING A 933MHz CPU OR FASTER MUST GET THIS PATCH OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES!!!!!!!!!

The problem is caused my fast processors and newer hard drives. Newer hard drives often have built-in cache that needs to be cleared during shutdown. Because the processor ends all of the running processes so quickly, and then shuts down the computer, the cache never has a chance to get flushed. The patch released by Microsoft adds a 2 second wait period at shutdown to slow it down. The chance of losing data would be slim. It would only happen if the data had never left the cache. The real problem comes in the fact that Windows detects the data in cache and thinks that it was not shutdown correctly. This causes it to run Scandisk every time you boot-up. Kinda annoying.

Definitely not something you want to download if you aren't having this problem.

My absolute slowest system I currently own is a PIII running at 1050Mhz on WinMe, no patches and ive never had this problem occur, ever.