Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Praetorius

How do you get menu fading in ME?

In the Millenium beta's there was alpha blending, menu fading, the cursor was like 2000's etc. When they released it proper there was none of the stuff that makes W2K look good. Some how I don't believe it got left out, more likely disabled. Does anyone know how to turn it back on in Millenium?

it is not there. Download windowblinds and watch your system slow to a crawl. You don't really need that fade sh1t anyways. It looks good but that is all it does. the problem that i have with it is that it slows me down that split second that it fades in is a split second that i have to wait so i turn off all the menu effects.

Windowblinds? Where do I get that from?

I still don't believe it's not there. I've seen alpha blending done on ME.

Thanx anyway.

GD slow internet conection making me double post i can wait until Adelphia turns on the fibre next month. ****!ng modems

[This message has been edited by Four and Twenty (edited 04 February 2001).]

Ok Windowblinds does not slow your system down unless you have a REAL slow computer. I have a P3 700 and it flys. Maybe you need to upgrade.

You can buy Object Desktop and then you get all there (Stardock) great stuff for a Year.

"Keep the Faith"

my sys is plenty fast

but in my opinion a noticeable performance hit for look good features is not worth it.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot

Windows 2000 Pro 2195

Windows Whistler Pro 2296

Windows Millennium Final Retail

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

512 Megs Ram

Guillemot Maxi Gammer Cougar (TNT2 M64 w/ 32 Megs of RAM)

Matrox Millennium PCI (w/ 4 Megs of RAM for second monitor)

3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 Ethernet Card

Abit Hot Rod Pro ATA-100 RAID Controler

2 x 12.6 Gig Maxtor Hard Disks RAID 0 (for system)

1 76.3 Gig Maxtor Hard Disk (for storage)

40X LG CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Iomega Internal Zip Drive

MS Explorer Mouse

MS Natural Keyboard Pro

And not a single peice of software that I actually own

Yep it looks like you have a great sys. I saw you said "Adelphia" do you know how much it will cost?

40 bux a month on top of my current cable fee not to bad

I would probly pay up to 150 if i had to

I hate this modem and shitty line the best i can get is 45.2k

[This message has been edited by Four and Twenty (edited 09 February 2001).]

What about my system?

PIII-800 @ 900 mHz, 256 MB Ram, Geforce2-Ultra, 20gig IBM ATA-100, ASUS CUSL2 Motherboard, SBLive!, 10/100 Network. Have Cambridge Dolby Digital Receiver with 5 speakers and subby.

And I actually made mine myself.

Is mine bigger than yours?

Yes Praetorius system "bigger than mine" (needs more ram though) Are you trying to say that you are better than me or something cause you built your own system? I build systems and do computer consulting to earn a living and have built dozens of computers. If I had money to spend on all new parts to build my own system I would but I have other things to pay for like food and shelter. My dell was given to me when I went to college last year and it still works well for me. I am saving up to get my dual p3s or maybe even some p4s. So why don't you take your "bigger computer" and shove it up you a.ss.

[This message has been edited by Four and Twenty (edited 12 February 2001).]

My apologies. I really just hate computer companies like Dell, Compaq and HP that put together systems that look good but when you pull them apart you see what kind of low quality components they use. Albeit Dell isn't quite as bad.

I too build, repair and consult in computer systems and components. You just sounded like you didn't.

Again my apologies. When I have time(turning 21 on the weekend) I'll endeavour to muck around with Windowblinds to see how bad a system hit I get with the fading.

I still think you are crazy if you don't build your own systems. I suppose it helps when you work for a wholesaler but still, at least I know exactly what goes into my systems.

I love healthy debate.

I would love to build my own system and plan to do so very soon it is just that i don't have the money. And i agree what came inside my dell was mostly crap and i have swapped out and replaced more than half of the components.

Here's mine, not much though, i don't feel like listing everything so here's the short version

Celemine 667@1133MHz

640MB ram cas2 pc133, 2x256, 1x128

30.6gb hdd

GeForce 2 Ultra

I know this is a bit off topic but I too own a Dell Dimension (XPS T550 in my case, one step up from Four and Twentys) and I have to say its one of the best "brand name" PCs I've ever used.

I've changed out the video card, added Network cards, a new Hard Disk, TV Card, extra RAM etc and tested more software and opsys's than I can even remember all without any problems - the odd driver issue don't count as I was often testing "leaked beta" drivers so you have to expect that sorta thing.

I'm not trying to start off a debate on which is better - home built or purchased PCs - I personally think it comes down to what the system is used for and how well its maintained.

But while I'm here - Four And Twenty: since you have the same board as I do, do you know exactly what the limits on processor upgrades for "our" systems is? The Dell forum gives different opinions ranging from 733 to over 800 so if you happen to know I'd appreciate any insight as I think thats what I'm gonna upgrade next.

Cheers.....

Kaiser

------------------

My System:

DELL XPS T550 (PIII @ 550 Mhz)

320MB PC-100 SDRAM DIMMs

9&12GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drives

Toshiba 6x DVD-ROM

Sony CRX-100E CD-RW

Trust 10/100 Ethernet NIC

USR 56K V90 Winmodem

Hauppage WinTV Go! Card

CL SBLive Value

CL 32MB GeForce DDR

Win2K Pro (with SP1)

DirectX 8.0a

I did a little research and discovered that it is actually cheaper for you guys to buy pre-built PC's. I'm in Australia and for me I save a couple of hundred bucks building mine myself (mind you that's about 5 US cents at the moment). So I can see why you would buy a Dell. Out here there is just no way you would bother if you were half sensible. I still can't get over how cheap RAM is in the States. It's almost twice the price here, conversion and all.

Four and twenty, why don't you overclock mate?

and 512 megs of ram is not needed. No microsh1t OS utilises that much ram. People rave about the memory management in W2k, yeah its better, but still far too ****. With 512mb you should not need a Fuking pagefile. Fuk Microsoft, I agree with the two baggies;

'Every OS sucks'

Damn right.

I agree, building your own system is the only way to go. And yes, it is still cheaper. What's more, the most important thing is, you get to choose what mobo is being used, since in my opinion a sh1t mobo and great peripherals still means a sh1t computer.

1) Gigabyte boards are the 'john doe' of boards, stay well away.

2) On-board sound and/or video is the worst thing since falafel.

3) The ALI chipset should be burned.

Quote:

But while I'm here - Four And Twenty: since you have the same board as I do, do you know exactly what the limits on processor upgrades for "our" systems is?

The fastest chip out that runs on the same buss speed as your mobo supports. Example: say your board only supports up to 100MHz FSB (typical 440 BX chipset) and the fastest chip out at the time you bought your system that ran on the 100MHz buss was say... A PIII800e becuase at the time the 1GHz PIIIeb required a 133 buss. But now I think they make 1 gigger PIII's that now run on a 100Mhz buss. I didnt read through the whole post to what system ya have because i'm on the run right now.......

Later!