Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CrazyKilelrMan

WinME wont shut down

I have a P2B-F motherboard and i have a shut down/restart problem. I have flashed bios to newest editions, upgraded all drivers, eliminated background programs and the computer refuses to shut down and restart. Power management is disabled. The problem i have is when i restart or shut down i have to go through scan disk. Plus i also have to manually restart. Basiclly hangs at a black screen.

check your bios/cmos settings by pressing del when your computer starts up, run thorugh the settings about power mangement you'll be able to find something

------------------

2 Computers both have :

Intel SE440BX2

Pentium III 700Mhz (100)

LS-120 120 Mb (100MHz)

Fujitsu 17.3 GB Ultra DMA 66/10.2 GB Ultra DMA 66

Mitsubihi 50X IDE

Creative Vibra PCI 128bit

Matrox Millenium G400 16Mb AGP/Diamond Speedstar 8Mb AGP

Bay Netgear 10/100PCI

Medium ATX Tower case

120W Multimedia

MS INternet KB (PS2)

MS Win2000 Pro

I have the same problem. I looked around a few other bulletin boards and have come to the conclusion that Nvidia's Detonator 3 drivers are to blame.

Well after installing WinME 4 times I think I figured this one out. My specs are:

T-bird 900 on Asus A7V

128 megs PC-100 RAM

SB Live! value

Elsa Geforce2 32MB

I can say for a fact now that its the SB Live! drivers causing the problems. I installed every driver from 5.22 on up to 6.31 and same thing everytime....Windows protection error when shutting down. So i did a fresh install of WinME and did not install the Live! drivers. Every other driver was installed and working fine.I rebooted it 20 times including complete shutdowns and it works flawlessly. I then installed the newest 9x drivers from creative and the first reboot got the same thing. So after another fresh WinME install I used the Gateway drivers and it has worked like a champ ever since. A little note to Creative Labs: Please release working drivers for all platoforms. When i have the WinME beta for 6 months to test then surely you have the tools to have drivers completed when a major OS is released, Esp when WinME went gold nearly 3 months ago. Get on it!! Creative