Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
marek94

Installing Win NT 4.0 on a 20 GB HD ??

Hello,

I'm having problems installing Windows NT 4 on a notebook with a 20 GB hard drive.

From my own PC I know that Win NT handles a 20 GB hd quite well once SP6 is installed, but that's not a big help for installing NT.

Booting from the NT CD the setup progam runs well and copies the installation files on the hard drive. But when it is required to reboot for the first time, NT setup shuts the computer down and restarts it, but there is no rebotting. Simply nothing happens.

I guess it has to do with the size of the HD, but is there a way to properly install NT on that notebook ???

I know that installing Win 2000 would probably work well, but the user if the notbook requires Windows NT 4 for his work.

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards,

Marek

Are you formatting the drive as one continuous partition? The way I do it, is I make a 2GB partition, install NT to it, then make the rest another partition for all my programs and such later on. I will usually bump the CD-ROM in disk admin to E:, and then make the new partition D:. I will also format the new partition in NTFS using 4K clusters. I wont create the new partition until I install SP5 or later to get NTFS5 support. If there was a way to slipstream (integrate the service pack into the installable boot image) NT, you could just create one large partition for installation.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I thought I remembered hearing ahile back about an updated ATAPI.SYS file for this very problem in NT4. You were supposed to build a 3-disk floppy startup set, instead of booting from the CD, and then copy the new ATAPI file to the 2nd (?) startup disk. I beleive there are also several file system update workarounds, but its been awhile. Hope this helps!