Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kingtrey

good pagefile size for 256mb ram?

whats a good size for your pagefile in Win2k to be if you have 256mb PC100 SDRAM? my computer seems to think all the time with Win2k installed, but it doesn't do it hardly at all in 98 ... i think its the pagefile being written to constantly ... otherwise i'm not sure why it always thinks. anyone have a good suggestion?

What applications are you using? Anything like database development or CAD/CAM? The best thing that I have seen is to use task manager as a guide. Basically, I just run the machine with everything that I would want to use at once, then calculate the Peak Commit Charge (K) + the Total Kernel Memory. I like the absolute peak of that to be about 80% of the total System memory. So, if I had a system with 256MB RAM, and peaked at 200MB used, I would probably just have a 50-100 fixed (min and max set the same) pagefile. Does this help?

smile

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I set mine to 1GB page file fixed size. I have 512 of pc133 cas2 and 60GB hard drive so this works out great for me. I used the same setting on my old system.

yeah thanks for the tips, i'll try it out and see ... mostly my usage goes from doing stuff like this to playing games, back to doing stuff like this. i have the page file set to 192mb right now, but i know thats probably too much. i'll play around with it and try what you suggested. other suggestions are still welcome, thanks!

I put in an old 2gb harddrive and told Win2k to use the whole thing as swap space.

I figure, with 288mb or RAM it won't get that high anytime soon, so why use some good hard drive space?

------------------

Written on Win2000 using:

PII 300

Aopen AX6B

288mb RAM

Diamond Viper 770 32mb

Matrox Millenium2 2mb

SBLive! Value

20gb Seagate

6gb WDCaviar

1.2gb Seagate

Pioneer 32x CD-R (Slot)

Realtek RTL8029AS 10mbit

MAG 15DLS 15"

Osborne MO117 17"

Using 100% Australian Made recyclable electrons

[This message has not been edited by felix (edited 35 January 3001).]

I have 384megs of ram and I set mine to 64 and I never come close to the peak. I do a lot of wallpaper graphics and Access database's (at the same time).

I am about to drop mine to 64MB myself. I am peaking at 300MB of RAM usage with some CAD apps and other stuff, while I have 384MB RAM and a 128MB pagefile.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I used to have fixed pagefile (1024MB) located on a second scsi160 harddisk. The problem is that manytimes CorelDraw 10 run very slow. I changed the pagefile size to 512MB and 2GB with no success. After change it from fix to variable size Corel work very fast again. I don't know what cause this problem but i've tested Corel on over than ten different Win2K systems with the same results. All systems including mine use 512MB or Rambus PC800/ECC memory

There is an actual scale recommended by MS ..might be in the MCSE books or something i forget.

But on average for different memory sizes ..

its + 1 1/2 (i think?)

So for a 256mb ram you'd set it to 256 + 256 + 128.

if you have two physically different drives ..set the pagefile on the second drive.