Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
scott_h2000

nt-4 installation problem

Hi,wonder if anyone has any suggestions for this problem I am having.

I am trying to install NT4.0 as a second O/S together with w98. I bought partition magic 6.0 to help with the installation and have

resized drive c where win 98 is and created a new primary FAT partition for winnt. I then hid the FAT32 partiton applying the changes to the system and rebooted using the

win nt installation disk. Everything goes fine with the installation of nt uptil the point where you get the screen which says..

THIS PORTION OF SETUP HAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY. IF THE THERE IS A FLOPPY DISK IN DRIVE A: AND OR CD IN CD-ROM REMOVE THEM.

PRESS ENTER TO RESTART COMPUTER . WHEN YOUR COMPUTER RESTARTS SETUP WILL CONTINUE. Well the problem is setup doesnt continue.

With "boot magic" enabled you get booted back to win98. With BM disabled, and with

the FAT32 Win98 partition disabled you can't boot back to win 98 but the whole time Win nt startup does not start up. Anybody got a clue what I am doing wrong here.

Thanks

Hi,

From my admittedly curmudgeonly viewpoint, just about everything is configured to fail on the system. If I were going to dual boot Win9X and NT 4.0 I would:

1. Start fresh. (Delete all partitions, re-create the new partitions needed, format a FAT16 Win98 partition (drive C smile as the primary.

2. Use NT setup to create and format a FAT16 (or possibly NTFS) drive in an EXTENDED partition (drive D smile.

3. Avoid third party partition and boot managers like the plague.

Outside of those considerations, I guess I'd have to ask you how big the C: drive is. It's best to have the boot and system partition for NT 4.0 residing within the first 7.8 gigabytes of the hard drive, regardless of what the vendors of third party boot and partition managers say. And hiding a partition from NT 4.0 is just asking for trouble as far as I'm concerned.

But I'm absolutely certain that there are users of (and believers in) Partition Magic hanging around here who are better qualifed than I am to say whether or not there's anything wrong with the way you're setting the system up for use with PM and BM. As I've already said, I avoid them like the plague. It may be that my jaundiced view of this type of software comes from the fact that almost all of my exposure to it has come from trying to recover data from the hard drives of people who called me after Partition Magic had failed (sometimes due to no fault of its own -- like in a power failure) during a partition resizing / conversion. So my experience with it has been skewed way off to the side toward the people who have had a bad experience with it. I know that lots of people love it.

Perhaps someone more helpful than I will happen along. If so, I'll read what s/he has to say and maybe learn something about Partition Magic.

In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Regards,

Jim

[This message has been edited by jaywallen (edited 27 February 2001).]