Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mike Zamarocy

Error in Registry for Virtual Devices and VDD?

I am not too sure of what happened, but lately I get this error:

System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDivers. VDD. Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid.

I looked, and there is nothing in there but the DEFAULT setting that is normally in most settings. This error pops up sometimes when I run "COMMAND" or try to install some software (not all, just some).

Well, the problem happens every time I run the DOS window for sure. But the other times happen when I try to instal some software - but they are Win 2000 programs. When I do get the message though, I can select CLOSE or IGNORE. If I select IGNORE, everything goes along as if nothing happened and I can continue on.

Oh, and I am trying to install your Win2000 TOOLS program, and it keeps erroring out at the APKFileFinder.EXE - so I can not install it.

My Autoexec and Config look to be alright. And all those files are on my system and are the correct versions. I also ran SFC to see if there were any corrupt or mad files - all seems ok.

The reg hacks you said to try are not on my system - I have a desktop, so there is no LanManServer, but a Desktop version. But it has no NullSessionPipes string in it.

Remember, the error message keeps saying the "Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid". Here is what it says in there:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers]

And there is nothing else in it other than the DEFAULT REG_SZ. So I am inclined to think something is missing there. Could you export yours and paste it here so I can compare? The only thing that COULD have been a problem in the Autoexec.NT would be a line added for KALI. But when I renamed it and used the original, I still got the same errors. I really think that just this part of the registry got tweaked in some way.