Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Napalm

Help!! I broke Win2K services ... now what?

Ok, I screwed up. I was messing around with Win2k services to see which ones I can turn off. So I stopped and disabled a few (specifically Remote Procedure, Routing and Remote access, System Event Notification and Task Scheduler). Now I can't do stupid actions like drag an icon, open up add/remove programs or even click on a link on a web page that opens up another page (or even copy/paste at all). I don't know which service screwed this up. Worst, I can't even enable these or any other services anymore. Every time I try and open up properties, nothing happens. ... Although Win2k 'thinks' the properties is open since it cries to close all property windows when I try and close computer management. Can anyone help? Is there a way to manually enable these services (i.e. through registry)?

Help

I did exactly the same thing a few weeks ago. The solution was simple, very simple. Perhaps I'll not be so brain-dead in the morning, and able to remember what the solution was. laugh

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

"Talking to DeadCats is like talking to a dead cat." -MrsDeadCats, 2001

can't u use the recovery console? I think it has a command that will allow you to modify service statup settings, besides you should have put those services on manual so that they can be started when truly needed. i think it's Remote procedure service that needs to be enable since i checked the dependencies and there are like a dozen of serviced depending on it.

[This message has been edited by bug_666 (edited 02 February 2001).]

if u feel comfortable with the registry u can do it from there

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\

in each services main key there is a reg_dword that says "start"

2=automatic/started

3=manual

4=disabled

hope this helps

The only 2 you really need turn off is Remote Registry Service & Messenger if on Dail-up, ASDL, Cable Modem, but if you on Loacl Lan with HardRouter then you don't need worry about, how ever if run a SoftRouter then you went to turn off on that system runing Win2k.

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 02 February 2001).]

Wow, i thought i was the only one to do something like that ... i don't feel so bad now. But all is working ... Thanks all

I screwed with the services of course too and ended up reformatting because I didn't know how to fix it W2K was hanging on the desktop and was responding supersluggishly. Supposedly W2K is alot easier to **** up than a Windows 9X installation even though it is 1000X more stable if you don't **** with the wrong things such as remote procedural call or whatever that is. That's a bad one to mess with. I think that's the one that ****ed me over.