Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
D_Williams

How to get ACPI working and is it worth it?

Hi, I am running an Althlon 500 (slot A) on an Microstar MS-6167 motherboard, and win2k SP1 with all the latest updates.

I have never had ACPI on. Win2k didn't detect it when i installed.

I am wondering a few things

1) Does my motherboard actually support ACPI?

2) Is it worth wnabling ACPI?

3) If both the above answers are yes, then how can I do it. Would changing the driver from "Standard PC" to "ACPI PC" do it, or would that screw things up? Is there any other ways to do it WITHOUT reinstalling win2k, which I don't want to do?

Thanks in advance

Dave Williams

I remember that was a big issue over on the athlonmb.com forums a couple months ago. Peoples were trying to disable ACPI because the SBlive card (which I have) and a bunch of other devices would take the same IRQs and memory addresses and occasionally conflict. I'm having the problem right now with my soundcard cutting out about every 15 seconds or so when I play games and when I play digital music (not mp3s) I get a horrible sound in the background over and over like someone stepped on a cat. The only way it was found to disable ACPI was to disable it in the bios and completely reformat. Do you want to do that? ACPI has been around since the days of PCI and Vesa Local bus and your board does of course support it they all do in one way or another. It is supposedly supposed to let devices in the PCI bus live harmoniously on the same IRQ, and most of the time it works, but occasionally there are problems.

[This message has been edited by PsychoSword (edited 03 February 2001).]

No I don't PsychoSword. Thanks for your help both of you. I am definately not going to try and get ACPI working. it looks like it is not worth it.

Thanks

Dave Williams