Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
d1rX

Win2k missing BOOT.ini / cant earase the waste in bootstrap

Hello,

First i would like to appologize if that topic doesnt belong here.

I have recently encountered a problem.

I have 2 HD's 10 and 20 gigs

WinME is set up on that 10 gig and win2k on the 20 gig one.

Now.....The smaller drive is a master drive and the bootstrap for Win2k has been installed there.....But when i formatted 20 gig HD after having problems with win2k...i installed win2k again, and now i see 3 selections in the bootstrap. Twice 2k and once win98

The old win2k loader hasnt beed earased since it was on that 10 gig drive....

When i unplug the drive where WinMe is and prolly the loader and let only Win2K boot i get the following msg: NTLDR is missing or currupted........and i cant boot from win2k

what i want to do is set up the bootstrap for both systems on the drive where win2k is...in future it will be a master HD.

It really pisses me off and i want to delete the unwanted selections!

I dont have boot.ini somehow i dunno why

and i did search for it on both drives...even with hidden files enabled.

any help appreciated

d1rX

you may be able to do it with "fdisk /mbr"

however.... by removing the other drive, you will be changing the drive letter for the win2k, and this is a BAD idea....

no i do not believe its in MBR even

its a freagen file

I did clear the MBR and nothin happened

The boot.ini file is always located on c:, regardless of where the OS is installed. You need to have "show hidden files and folders" enabled, as well as "hide protected operating system files" disabled. Then you should be able to see the boot.ini file, as well as several others (like ntldr).

As for changing the win2k drive to c:, forget about it. It is never a good idea to move around system partitions... there are too many places that refer to system directories where they're at now.

damn mate that worked....the hidden system philez.....im stupid that i didnt think of it i thought that if i only do hidden files the boot.ini should pop-up

anyways.....thanks, i deleted the unwanted crap ;]]]]]]]]]]