Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
danleff

MEPIS and nFORCE2 400

Just a repore back. apparently Linux will work with the nFORCE chipsets. I am currently running a Biostar M7NCD board wirh MEPIS and it detected my onboard NIC and audio right off.

The boot messages confirm that they have the NVIDIA drivers installed.

Now to see how they did it! laugh

See? I told you it wasn't terribly difficult to get nForce/nForce2 chipsets operating under Linux :P

Seriously, audio is probably being provided through either ALSA or the kernel's older i810_audio OSS module (with the slight possibility that it's using nVidia's nvaudio module) and the LAN well, I wouldn't have a clue. The nVidia LAN module is proprietary and closed source meaning that most distros don't include it. There is an open source module, called forcedeth but I wouldn't think MEPIS would be including that yet. There is also the possibility your board doesn't use the nVidia LAN at all (a few boards do this).

Both the kernel messages in MEPIS showd NVIDIA lan and audio and those in Win XP's device manager show NVIDIA drivers for lan (NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller) and audio (NVIDIA nforce audio codec interface). In Win, the onboard nic was not detected until I installed the drivers from Biostar.

I'll have to see what Mepis did and report back.

I see where the other nForce users are frustrated.

I installed Lindows, which uses the ALC650 (according to kmix), which works. Lan and all!

Mandrake Cooker won recognize the onboard nic. It uses, as you guessed the snd-intel8x0 module, which just produces static on demand. Acording the Harddrake, the lan is using nvnet module, but no-go. I popped in an old Realtek card, works fine.

Any ideas?

There is no NVIDIA RPM for Mandrake Cooker yet and the kernel is 2.6.0. No source code yet that I can find for the kernel. I guess that I should use the NVIDIA source drivers, since I can´t find the kernel source?