Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Muzzy

Windows 2000 Profiles

Weel, I would like to change my the default directory for profiles C:\Document and Settings\ of my Win2k Pro.

I'll like to put this directory into another disk or partition by default. Can anybody helps me?

Regards

get tweak ui

------------------

----------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Dual Boot Windows 2000 / Windows ME Beta 3

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Grafix Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

With TweakUI I can chenge some system directories, like Program Files, My Documents, etc., but not the whole Documents and Settings dir.

Another idea?

I believe there is no way....In their Wisdom, programmers at Microsoft believe that the most important thing for the users is their Documents, and settled this new directory to be the home of User Profiles also....There was the same problem in WinNT 4, the profiles where stored in the WinNT\Profiles Directory, and no way to change this....

If someone finds a way out, please tell! I believe Muzzy's approach is far more smart and reliable....

Goto your desktop. Right-click the My Documents icon. Click on Properties. Click on Move. Tell it where you want it movedl It won't move the Documents & Settings directory, but actually will move your My Documents directory.

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat: You talk to it but you're never really sure if it hears you, much less comprehends what you say."

You can move the "Documents and settings" folder. but it requires hacking the registry bug style and is not for the faint harted. I managed to do mine, but it took a while to get it right.

Actually, all you have to do is right click on "My Computer", then click the advanced tab. Click on "enviroment Variables".

You'll see the default locations for Temp etc. Click on edit and point it to the right place.......

Excuse me King, do you mean I've got to create a variable named PROFILES and give it the value of the directory I want? Is that simple? Did you try it?

No; the profile is already there. First right click on "My Computer", then click on the "Advanced" tab. The top window will show you what the default paths are set to (ex: set temp=C:\Windows\Temp) Change this to whatever you want by clicking the "Edit" button and hitting Ok. As soon as you do that you're all set.....

no changing the temp directory will not do it, what he wants to do is make the whole entrire documents and settings directory move to a seperate physical drive/partition

you know like *nix style has / /boot /etc /usr /home and any of them can be on any partition as long as they exist?

should be an option at install maybe to tell it where to go i dont know about after install most of us would be happy with it if you could choose the location then..

however if you are talking about a new installation with just and administrator account.. you can just assign a different "home" directory to each user as you create it.. cannot remember the exact tab off the top of my head but it can be done.. and it does move ALL of a users profile to that directory my docs, the local setttings , temp folder etc

hope this helped somewhat!