Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
In2Deep

Lockups -

I had an EPOX motherboard running a k62-450 with W2k and I had no problems. I just upgraded to a FIC board with Athlon 700 and now I have random lockups - my mouse pointer stops moving and although I can toggle my numlock and caps lock - the keyboard doesn't work either so I am forced to reboot. The only change in W2K I can see is that under the old proessor I was a Standard PC and under the Athlon I am a ACPI PC. Would this be the cause of my problem? Any suggestions?

------------------

One can not be betrayed if one does not have any people

I run a Athlon 750 on a SD11 and dont have any locks. But it was trial and error. My TnT2 CL card caused many problems when loading drivers that weren't on the Win2000 cd. As well the VIA drivers caused data corruption with my ata66 drives. So after a learning curve my Win2000 machine runs well and I am quite pleased.

Ned

I too have had the same problem, but with slightly different hardware.

I had a PIII 450, a Chaintech 6BTM motherboard, and a voodoo 3

I've now got a Gigbyte 7IXE, an Athlon 550, and a G-Force 256.

My machine also seems to lock up at random, and I can't seem to locate the fault.

I've got all the latest drivers, and Re-installed the system just to be on the safe side, but with no joy. The system can go, as it has today, for several hours, then just freeze after 5 mins.

Weird!

Sad news.

If you have a GE Force card and an AMD based motherboard, there are many problems with the system locking up

It's a known fact, and I have only just found out about it - Nvidia and AMD are working on the problem as we speak. I'm just glad I kept my Voodoo 3 - it's alot slower, but at least it works.

No crashes now for a while anyway

I have an Athlon 750 on a K7M MB. I have been struggling with W2K lockups for a few months with both a Voodoo3 2000 and a GeForce 2 card. I think that I have it solved.

Try loading the updated AGP filter drivers.

Lock ups? I've lived with them for almost a year a now. In any OS, while doing any sort of operation, whether it be playing an mp3, downloading a file, playing a 3d game or while the system is just idle; - it locks up. A complete freeze. Mouse cursor is frozen, system halts. I have tried everything. My sytem is not overclocked, I have to assume it's a fault in my motherboard or an incompatability with my ram( or an error in my one of my systems bus's)

Had the same prob ... (PII Cel 500 TNT2 ..) ... I suggest the problem appears whit the 5.17 Detonator ...

I installed a clean system, used the orgiginal 3.78 and had suddenly no more hangs ...

Hello everyone,

the problem that Win2000 has so far (mostly) with is the hardware and the IRQs. The PNP feature in Win2000 was either uncooked or somehow overcooked (burned to crisp).

All I can say is, wait until a new SP is released.

I had numerous problems with my modem and sound card, but everything else seems to work properly.

The Device Manager is your best friend!

-

cap0ne

Make sure if you have an Athlon you have a good power supply.

I got an Athlon 800 and my 235W power supply couldn't handle it. Had lockups, wouldn't boot and etc. Got a 300W power supply and all works great.

i have found that lockups on my system can all be traced back to my video card. I had a problem with lockups with the 5.17 Detonator drivers but the 3.78 drivers work great no lockups whatsoever also expect some randome lockups if you overclock your gfx card. I have my card overclocked in windows me and i experience lock ups every so often (about 4 in the past 3 months) When my gfx card is not overclocked it never crashes at all. On my system Windows Millennium beta 3 is just as stable as win2k when not overclocked also far better for games (about 10 fps better) anyway i will stop babbling my point is try different drivers and your troubles may go away

Ok I have installed a dozen or so Athlons and I have found that the lockups are mainly caused by two things:

Power supplies (the Fic board especially)

Memory (only use name brand)

I tried on my own system by first updated the power supply to an Antec 300 but no go still had lockups. Got rid of the BRAND NEW generic memory and replaced with Corsair PC133 and have been rock solid ever since

------------------

"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war"