Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

Sites wont come up

Okay, this is bugging the crap out of me, so here I go.

Some sites wont come up and we've got DSL with a D-Link router and a separate D-Link hub, and a Fujitsu DSL modem. My dad couldnt get to a couple of sites, so he shut down all 4 computers here, and shut down the dsl arrangement too. We now have a different IP address, but now, more sites wont come up.

Im totally perlexed here.

Exactly what settings should be enabled on the network, so that we can still play games on the occasion--HL is the only thing that happens, but there is a little filesharing going on too.

There is tcp/ip, ipx/spx, netbuei, and the MS windows stuff under networking here.

Im guessing part of the problem here is too much networking crap, but Im not totally sure thats great either.

2 pc's run Win2k exclusively and have total access to the net, one is 98 only and is purposely limited on the internet, and the other is a dual boot between ME and Win2k also with restricted internet access.

Also, is there a substitute for Cybersitter that wont crash IE out?

Thanx.

Oh, yeah, ipx/spx is required for some games too. Also, we cant see other computers on the network w/o netbuei.

[This message has been edited by Brian Frank (edited 14 April 2001).]

Sound like you didn't setup the same workgroup name other that you don't need netbuei or did something eles wrong.

All need is TCP/IP, IPX/SPX Give each PC a real IP Address start with 192.168.0.2 thur ? all PC must have the same Subnet Mask Address May look like this

Host Name: TOSTE

Workgroup Name: SuperHighSpeed

IP Address: 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (Router)

Which D-Link router is it ?

How about the Hub to ?.

Its a D-link 701 hub, and a D-Link DSS 8+ router---I think that's correct.

And we do have the workgroup set up as Franknet and all computers are members of it.

Its just that Im probably doing something wrong because my win2k only box is the worst when it comes to networking from ME/98 boxes.

That inhibits me when Im booted in ME on my dual boot box.

Well thanks, I'll have to see how it does, shs.

Can NetBEUI and IPX/SPX. The only reason to have IPX is if you have games that wont/can't use IP. Also, when "some" sites can't come up, can you ping them by name? I used to have issues with that using RoadRunner, then I just changed the DNS boxes I was resolving against and that cleared it up. It seemed like a flaky database was being replicated, but that has been fixed.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

All most rigth D-link 701 router, and a D-Link DSS 8+ hub.

Have you try add in both you Router & ISP DNS address ? the router should be 192.168.0.1, It not a good idea have both NetBEUI and IPX/SPX install Just use IPX/SPX and then you need type in host name of the other pc.

In nothing eles unsitll every yes even the NIC to then then reinstall it only add IPX/SPX & IP & DNS address don't mess with other stuff.

Well, thanks for the help, shs and clutch. Unfortunately, that didnt work for me. I did find out that the homepage of each site wasnt coming up, so I just got a different page on the site and bookmarked that instead.

I am not a fan of IPX at all, but why are you, SHS? I was just wondering. I can see it if there is a use (like in a game), but otherwise I don't use it. The MS version was better than Novell's (didn't kill that many NICs), but I don't believe in installing unused options if I don't have to. I was just wanting to know if I was missing something.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Forget it. Kill everything except TCP/IP, Client for MS Networks and File and printer sharing. Configure your D-Link for Static IP addresses by killing the DHCP element. Assign static IP at each machine by starting with 192.168.1.201, 202, 203....etc.. That will eliminate the DHCP element and think for the router. Afterwords you need to examine your router settings for whatever you think should be en/disabled. Use RIP and see what happens, if D-Link has that ability. Even if you leave DHCP enabled enable RIP and see what happens. Using IE 5.5 or 6.0? Verify browser settings, but probably fine if on 5 machines or what have you. THis is a good place to get started. i have alot of wexperience on low end routers. Eliminate all aspects of your networking config that don't need to be there. Kill IPX and Netbeui of you don't use them otherwise it is just an annoyance and something else to go on. Hey have to go. BUsy. Good luck!

Enable RIP? Why?

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Well, I might have a fix. It seems CyberSitter 2000 is the problem. In addition to crashing IE out every other second mad , it also is preventing me from getting to sites.

Getting Norton Internet Security Family Edition soon...

It never occured to me that you would have some sort of URL filtering software on your PC. Why is that? Got kids around there?

Actually, I still live with my parents ;(, so I can afford college. So, of course the filtering has to go on. My dad saw that he could install Norton on my little bros pc and get updates. If I have to be filterd Id rather have that.

CyberSitter seems to crash constantly.

When we were using it under 98, the whole computer would crash frown