Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dredd

Very slow network neighborhood

I have a Win2k Pro PC and it takes forever for it to pull up anything in My Network Places. It just sits there for a long while then finally brings up the other PC's on the network. I am using TCP/IP for the internet, and NetBEUI for my local shares. I just don't get it. Please help!

------------------

Dredd

Webmaster of DreddNews

http://www.dreddnews.com

There is a registry key that you can delete in 2K to speed it up. If no one else posts it before I get home, I will then.

Its something like 'ScheduledTasks'.

--Cynan.

I notice that too in NT. Win9x goes very quick when you brouse network neighborhood. I like to know how to fix that too...

Win2K is looking for a browse master if no WINS box is designated. NT does the same thing. If you have NT server setup with WINS, it works extremely fast. Otherwise, just use the UNC path to the resource you are looking for.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Its very annoying that it is sooo slow. This OS is for a network environment yet runs sooo slow. Not sure if it is having problems with the Master Browser on the network but I wouldn't know how to fix that anyways.

------------------

Dredd

Webmaster of DreddNews

http://www.dreddnews.com

Exactly, it is a network based operating system. And in a normal NT network, you would have a WINS server, or at least a server acting as browse master. With either of these, your browsing will pick up considerably.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Install WINS on one of the NT/Win2K servers on the network. It's a simple process in a low demand environment as it seems there is no need for replication. In Win2K there is a wizard for it in the Server Setup page. In NT, you will have to install it as a network component.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Oooops !! forgot about this. heh. Delete this branch:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]

and all should work at lightspeed !

--Cynan.

A WINS server is probably overkill for a single-segment home network.

Better to just turn disable the ability to become a Master Browser on all machines except one. (Especially any 9x machines you might have, they have the nasty tendancy of thinking they won the MB elections.)

Besides, WINS requires a Server install, and, minus defective 9x networking, that should win the browse elections anyway even without WINS.

Also, check Q191611 and Q288801 and turn off the MS networking stuff on any Internet-only NICs due to an issue with multihomed machines and browsing.

It's a good theory, but it rarely works. Win9x has a poor tendency to force elections even when they are told not to act in a master browse status. It's best not to even use network neighborhood in small setups like that, since you know the names of all the PCs that are online anyway. But if one insists on it, the best method is WINS with a mixed 9x/NT network (at least until DDNS is fully functional for a mixed OS environment) as it provides fast, reliable browsing.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Cynan, the tweak you provided only helps for browsing the shares on a specific computer, not for getting the list of computers. Not that you didn't help though, as I did apply your tweak, ad it does indeed speed up looking at win9x computers....

[This message has been edited by CUViper (edited 19 March 2001).]

OMG! Cynan, you're the man! I just installed WindowsME and I was wondering WTF is up with the Network Neighborhood because it is soooo slow. I deleted the registry key that Cynan posted and everything started working at light speed as he said. w00t!