Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
billwinkle

Networking starband internet access please help

Help. Our company just found out friday that we are losing our DSL thanks to Nothpoint shutting down this week. I am in need of reliable internet access and am looking at Starband as a viable alternative. Does anyone know how to properly network Starband and can give me the lowdown on how to do it?

I have some network experience with the DSL and have 16 systems online. But the Starband modem is new to me with its USB interface.

Any help is greatly appreciated as time is of the essence. thanks\

If it is easier to email me please feel free to.

nascar@msn.com

Starband is a wireless service, correct? If so, I would imagine that you would need to hook the modem up to a PC running some sort of proxy (MS Proxy, Wingate, Sygate, etc) and connect a NIC from the PC to your network.

I go to New Horizons for some classes occasionally, and they have that system (in WI). It is just about the worst broadband system that I have ever seen. It could probably be only local issues, but it's pretty bad. Sorry I don't have any more/good info to give you.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Thank you clutch,

upon further research I found a site that tells you how to network starband (which is a satillite internet provider) but it also involves modifing the modem.

also in my haste I gave my email addy incorrectly

nascarforever@msn.com

sorry if anyone tried to email me.

stress is a terrible thing.