Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

IE can't find connection on LAN 1st time, but internet works

Here's the situation:

I'm running win2k professional with sygate home network on the server pc to share my pppoe dsl connection. On the client pc i have a win98/win2k dual boot. I don't use dhcp, i gave both computers their own ip, configured the gateway and dns server the right way.

In win98 the internet connection works fine.

But in win2k after the boot, when i try to run IE it says it cannot find the internet connection, it gives me 2 options: "try again" and "work offline". When i click try again internet works fine.

Why can't IE find internet the first time but the first time it works fine?

Another thing, other programs (icq, msn messenger,...) find the connection right the first time, just IE that doesn't work right.

Can anyone help me with this?

When i install IE6 beta i don't get that message anymore, really weird.

I get that with wingate too. The message in my case is caused because IE times out before the server has established a dial up connection (even though with ISDN it's about 2 seconds). The message doesn't occur if there is already a connection established. IE tries once and once only apparently.

I rate this nusiance second only to typing in an address, after starting up IE, and the default "home" page deleting your typing. :rage: :killMS: laugh

There must be a reg setting that sets the timeout or something.

PS is IE6 still on the web? wink

I had the same thought about a timeout setting in the registry, but i didn't find any info on the web.

Yes, IE6 is still around. Go to http://www.m3dzone.com/files.php

and there go to operating systems --> win2000 --> ie62411.zip

Sorry i couldn't give you the full url to the download, they have some sort of protection against leech.

Quote:

Here's the situation:

I'm running win2k professional with sygate home network on the server pc to share my pppoe dsl connection. On the client pc i have a win98/win2k dual boot. I don't use dhcp, i gave both computers their own ip, configured the gateway and dns server the right way.
In win98 the internet connection works fine.
But in win2k after the boot, when i try to run IE it says it cannot find the internet connection, it gives me 2 options: "try again" and "work offline". When i click try again internet works fine.
Why can't IE find internet the first time but the first time it works fine?

Have you tried SP1 for w2k? I had the same problem, which disappeared with SP1 and/or IE5.5.

I was having this same exact problem unitl I checked under Start Menu->Settings->Network and Dial Up Connections Go to local area connections and right click for properties, under the general tab click configure then click advanced, check your settings for link wake up and magic packet wake up, make sure they are set to enabled. This should resolve your problem.....