Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
outlawtorn

ICS and File/Print Sharing

Ok, I am setting up a small permanent LAN with the main system being a Windows 2000 based system. The other 2 systems will be Win 98SE and Win ME. I have tried and tried and maybe I am missing something, but I have no clue as to how to get 98 or ME to see the shared files and folders off a 2k system. The 2k system will be sharing its internet connection with the other 2 as well. All help will be appreciated.

here it is....when u try to logon to the win2k machine...win98 and ME will only display an input for password. The logon name in win 98 is your login name for the 2k server. U have to add this account to the win2k account.

Ie: on my roomates computer his login name at login screen for 98 is "Bob" i have to create an account that has a login name of "Bob".

So create a new account under users and guests or whatever it is, and u shoud be set, providing your services are set up ok. Note: On default settings, the services are set for doing this.

Alternative to CrazyKillerMan's suggestion of adding guest accounts with your login names is to just enable the standard guest account in Computer Management -> Local Users & Groups (it has a red cross on it by default).

Win98/ME will see the guest account and use it automatically.

If the user accounts are not the problem, however, you may like to check the following:

Make sure all machines have at least the TCP/IP protocol installed for the network cards.

Make sure all your machines are on the same subnet (eg. IP address of 192.168.0.x) and that your subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 on all machines (is faster if all on the same subnet).

Make sure file and print sharing is turned on (yeah I know, obvious, and it should be on by default in win2k but check it anyway).

Make sure all your machines are in the same workgroup.

With regards to internet connection sharing, go to the properties of your internet connection, tick the "enable internet connection sharing for this connection" box. Set all the other machines on your LAN to have their Gateway and DNS set to the IP address of your w2k machine.

Hope this helps.

--

Xiven