Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mike Zamarocy

HELP with SMS and Mcafee, PLEASE

Sorry to double post, but not sure where to stick this one and get an answer:

Here at work they decided to install SMS 2.0 (SP1). On all our Win98 machines, when our logon scripts run, if not now, it WILL happen eventually - the systems lock up. When you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, the same program is not responding - MPREXE.EXE! At first, we thought it was McAfee 4.0.2, so a special logon script was created to remove it and reinstall McAfee 4.0.3 - this worked for awhile, but now again its starting to happen all over the place! As these are Compaq Deskpro's (from older P180 4000's to newer P7033 EN's), we then found removing the crap Compaq Insight Manager software (DMI junk) helped for a bit - but yet again only on some, or it returns again on many others. We then tried adding network drive (PDC and BDC) exclusions - again worked on some, not on many others. The last thing we tried was to add \\ as an exclusion, but that defeats the purpose of having an A/V software. Now, the latest bandaid we have found, is that if the user logs on IMEDIATELY when the logon dialog box appears - and before the dreaded McAfee shield pops up, they CAN boot fully to the desktop. But this is NOT a fix! More of a P I T A. So, has anyone else had this problem? And clues on what to do next? At this point in time, McAfee has to stay, so we are stuck with it.

Hang on bud, I think I can help you out. First, on the scanner engine version, you should be using the latest superdat to get you up to 4.0.70. This will fix most of your problems. In addition, you should at LEAST have your SMS site up to SP2 (SP3 just came out, and is supposed to be really nice). SP2 fixes some memory leak issues, and SP3 fixes some issues with software inventory memory leaks and server performance issues. However, the first thing you want to do is to get the McAfee scanner engine updated.