Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mushy Peas

2 PCS (W2K), LAN, CABLE MODEM, FIREWALL PROBLEM.

My problem is that I've got two machines, both W2K, connected via a hub. A Router (RT311) shares a Cable modem to the two pcs (via the hub of course).

I was advised to purchase a software firewall (even though I have the router - by the router makers) and purchased ZoneAlarm Pro.

BUT, I am finding it very difficult seeing the over computer when clicking my network places.

Cannot Ping the other computer.

I think that it is the Software firewall causing the problem, but I've run out of ideas of what to try.

Can anyone help ??

Also, the thing is that although I can't Ping the other computer, I DO IN FACT see it under 'computers near me', but when I double click on the computer, it then says 'computer xxxx not accessible, the network path was not found'.

This is driving me nuts !

Okay, its definately the software firewall.

Zonealarm, I uninstalled this software and it works fine....

Question is, what settings should I have Zonealarm set to in order for it not to cause any problems connecting over the lan network ??

Your firewall is blocking your NetBIOS and ICMP protocols. You just need to open up some ports. I think the readme or their site has more info on this.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

If you lower the security settings in ZoneAlarm, you shouldn't have any problems.

On my main PC at home I have a cable modem hooked up, and a 2nd NIC for the LAN.

With the default ZoneAlarm settings (Medium LAN, High Internet), my machine is fine for the net, but my second machine can't get out.

If I lower the Internet security to Medium, then the 2nd PC can access the net. I haven't really tried the file sharing stuff, but it might just help you out.

Well, I was looking around the ZA site to see if I could help. Now, it would appear there are several ways to do it:

1. Like Brusar mentioned, you could lower the general settings (seems to be the most common way, and the original intent of the program).

2. Authorize the application to send/receive data. I believe there will be a pop-up when new traffic is picked up on the machine running ZA. You would then have the option to permit it.

3. Upgrade to ZA Pro, which permits port managing and it more flexible than ZA in regrads to narrowing security focus.

Overall, it seems like ZA is a nice package for simple home use, but ZA Pro may be the version of choice for some of the power users here.

smile

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I have a confession....

I read an article about how good and how easy Blackice Defender is as a software firewall - so I purchased it and it was so much easier to configure than ZoneAlarm Pro.

Everthing works fine....

Thanks for all your help guys.