Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rudyatek

Network user access

I have a Win98 system connected via ethernet to my main Win2k system, and I'm trying to find a way to give the other computer read-only access to my system's files. I enabled sharing for all my drives, and set the permissions to read-only (denying write and full access). However, the other computer is unable to do more than list the files. Any attempt to open a file returns a permissions error. The only alternative I can find is to give full access, but I really don't want to do that. I don't understand why the read-only setting wouldn't work, is there something I'm missing?

Under 2k click on advanced button for security and then view/edit button for user permissions. I think the directory you are wishing to share needs execute permissions, but the files underneath do not..

Regards

Kristian Dorey AMIAP CNA CWD

Where do I find this Advanced button under security? When I right-click the folder and select Sharing I don't see any advanced options...

If NTFS drive (and I hope it is if your running win2k!)..

Right click on drive

Click Security Tab

Click Advanced

Add Execute permissions to just the dir...

Regards

Kristian Dorey AMIAP CNA CWD

Ah, that must be it. I'm using FAT32 (since I have a dual-boot setup, Win2k being the primary OS). Is it at all possible on FAT32?

You can go a different route, but it is a little unsecure. If you enable the Guest account that is disabled by default in Win2K, that should fix your problem, and allow regular 'Read-Only' access to your drives. The side-effect oft his being that people can logon to your machine anonymously, but using something like ZoneAlarm coudl watch your back there.

Best of luck,

-bZj

When 98 box boots you should receive a network login box. Whatever the user name and p***word you use there needs to be created as a user on the W2K box. So you would create a new user and the name and p***word has to corispond with the 98 box.

The reason for this is since you are not running a domain the only way to athenticate shared resources is with a local security policy setup on each and every w2k box you have. Since there is no domain there is no centralized authentication by one machine for the whole domain. You have to setup users locally on each W2k box and they must corrispond with the user name and p***word on the 98, 95, nt, 2000 operating systems.

When Win2K is setup, it creates its own domain (the name of the machine). You can then setup 98 in network properties to logon to that domain, which will inturn validate credentails against the Win2K SAM upon logon. You can create all the users that you want in the Win2K box, and then logon the Win98 box with those credentials.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I just enabled the Guest account on the Win2k system, but that didn't seem to have any effect. Still getting permissions errors when trying to open files. I have entered the Win98 system's username to the Win2k users list, and both computers are on the same workgroup (obviously). I'm not quite quite sure what the 'domains' suggestion is about, I did a search on the Win98 system for domains, and went into the network properties to have it 'Log on to Windows NT domain', but this didn't work. Just got a message at bootup saying that there was no server found to verify the password. Am I missing something? Or is there another way?

Aha, I finally found it. The trick was to remove the "Everyone" user from the sharing permissions, and add only the users I want to share it with. Once I did that, it let me set it to Read-Only without any deny entries added on.