Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
whoisurdaddy

How do you share DSL connection to 6 computers?

I was wondering if you have 6 computers, how would you setup to share the DSL connection? I have D-Link Router + Switch (DI-704) and it has only 4 ports so only 4 computers can share DSL connection. I have one computer running Win2k Server edition and the rest are running Win98 SE.

Just get a hub with the desired amount of ports, and use the "uplink" from it to connect to the router.

Thanks for replying. I did that. For some reason connecting Hub's uplink port to the router reduce the internet connection of the computer(s) connected to the hub. Instead I bought the Switch and connect its uplink port to the router. Now the internet the connection of the computer connected to the Switch is much better. I don't get 800 ping I get with using the Hub. It is back to around 80 ping when I play on-line games.

Sounds like a bad port or cable. I had that happen before with bad cable crimps (intermittent connections and dropped packets). At least the switch works for ya. Check out your other post for more information on the equipment you asked about.

------------------

Regards,

clutch