Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sk

Multiple LANs

At home I have a little LAN with a Desktop, Laptop, Hub and DSL Router running Win 2 Pro.

My family has very similar network that I want to connect to (only difference; printers are connected via a print server). It is easy for me to connect to the network if I manually change the IP from 10.0.0.3 (home) to 10.0.0.5 (family).

However I think that manual editing is not the way of doing things! I want to create a new “Local Area Network” connection that includes IP settings for each location.

I went through Win2k Help File, the win2k Resource Kit and did some searching on the MS KB. I now know that a LAN connection cannot be created manually and that I maybe need to create a new Hardware Profile for each location.

The Help File and Resource Kit suggested that I needed to disable the network adapter for the old location not in use and just plug in to the new location. However a disabled device will not be found by PNP and LANs are setup automatically, so much for that solution!

I am really surprised that this is not more intuitively layd out – I thought one of the design goals of Win2k was “easy networking” including mobile users connecting to multiple LANs.

Elegant solutions, anyone?

SK

Or, you could setup a DHCP server that will ***ign the info you need (IP, Gateway, Subnet Mask) to communicate. Most home-use routers include this ability, so you may want to research this if both locations can do this. Or, just use the same numbering conventions at both locations, therefore having the same IP on both networks.

------------------

Regards,

clutch