Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bursar

Using ICS with a Cable Modem

I've just had a Cable Modem installed, and am having problems with sharing the connection.

My main machine (full specs in signature) uses the onboard Intel NIC for a LAN connection via a hub. A second 3Com NIC is connected to the Cable Modem.

For the LAN, my main machine has a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.1, and hands out a DHCP address to the second machine.

The 3Com NIC uses DHCP in order to obtain an IP address for the Cable Modem connection.

The second machine runs Win98SE, and ICS was working fine when I had a 56K dial up on my main PC.

The LAN is still working, and I can ping each machine from the other, and can browse hard disks and so-on.

The ICS stuff just isn't working though. I have checked the 'Sharing' box on the 3Com NIC in order to share that connection but it still doesn't work.

I'm running ZoneAlarm on my main machine, and am wondering if that is the problem. There are no alerts in ZoneAlarm relating to my second machine though.

I tried adding the range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255 to my local network addresses (in ZoneAlarm), but that didn't work either.

I guess I need to do some more tweaking somewhere, but I'm at a bit of a loss. I really don't want to buy a hardware router, as I'm a bit skint at the moment.

The only info I can find basically says, set the LAN IP address to 192.168.0.1 on the Win2K machine, and enable sharing on NIC connected to the CM.

On the other machine, make sure the DNS and gateway addresses are set to 192.168.0.1

I don't think I have specified a DNS address on the other machine, I'll check that tonight though.

Any advice would be appreciated.

------------------

PIII 800EB FC-PGA

Intel D815EEA Motherboard

Intel® PRO/100 Integrated NIC

2x256MB PC 100 RAM

Maxtor 92049U6 20.4GB 7200RPM UDMA66

Maxtor 52049U4 20.4GB 7200RPM UDMA66

Hercules 3D Prophet II Ultra 64MB

AOpen 52x IDE CD-ROM

Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI CD-RW

Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer USB

Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Pro

US Robotics Sportster Flash v90 External modem

Iiyama Vision Master Pro 17

Adaptec 2940 Ultra Wide SCSI controller

Sound Blaster Live! Value (LiveWare 3)

Windows 2000 Professional (SP1 + all updates)

[This message has been edited by Bursar (edited 08 December 2000).]

Right, I've got things halfway there now.

My second machine is going out to the Internet, but ZoneAlarm is stopping the information coming back through.

I've added the IP address of the second machine to the Local Zone but it doesn't help.

Still lokking for advice...