Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

WindowsME ate my memory for lunch!

Ok I have been running WindowsME final release for 2 weeks now and by all accounts its ok, it crashes much less than win98 and seems a little faster especially the boot times but one thing that is pissing me off is that it leaks memory like a fiend. If I let the computer just run for a couple of hours doing nothing and then run sandra 2000 out of 192 megs of physical ram I have 0% left!!! WTF, also for some stupid reason windows is only creating a 75 meg swap file (ok thats wierd) Any suggestions? or should I just got back to Win2k pro smile

------------------

***TRUST YOUR TECHNOLUST***

i've had the exact same problem.

I was stupid enough to try out WinME.

Well, i'm back to win2k now. that's all i can say wink

WINME is for your mom and nan and people who buy there pcs from wallmart!!!!!! stick to a proper os WINDOWS 2000.

if you run games run winme on the side it is the current os for gamming

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Dual Boot Windows 2000 Pro / Windows ME Beta 3

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

WinME ... you switch from Win2K Pro to WinME ?!!!

That's insane ... I'll never talk to you again ... ever !

;-)

screw going back to win2k or staying with winme..I have 224 MB of RAM using cacheman at http://www.outertech.com and it runs WinME like a charm...but if you really want to go to Win2k..hell going Windows Whistler pre-beta..it's a hell of alot better even though it's a pre-beta...it runs better than 2000 and is way much better

I would go back to w2kpro. I have had no problems with games [quake3, unreal tourney, diablo2]. I did just read an article baout whistler being better than 2k in the benchmarks, but why play with a beta?

------------------

- brian@infinitejones.com

Code:
==================             ===================Home built system:             Also, just for fun:Soyo SY-7VCA                   AST Bravo LC 4/66d[VIA T82C694X]                 Intel 486 CPU[onboard sound]                40 MB RAMPIII 500E [flip chip]          500 MB Conner HddPNY 128 MB PC100 RAM           3 1/2, 5 1/4, 2x CDStealth III S540               3com Etherlink II3com Etherlink III             Adaptec AHA-1545 SCSIQuantum Fireball 10.3 GB Hdd   [to host some files on:]HP A4331D 20" Monitor          1.3 GB internal SeagateWin2K Pro [v5.00.2195, SP-1]   2 2 GB external Seagate[format => clean install]      Windows 95 [v4.00.1111]Covad DSL [shared]             pcAnywhere 9.2                               [so I can leave it in the closet]