Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmmac1

Reinstalling RedHat Linux 9

Good morning

I have been having some strange occurences with RedHat 9 and decided to do a reinstall. So I start, and ask it to format the partitions and check for bad blocks. I have /dev/hdd1 for / and /dev/hdd7 for /usr. When it finished /dev/hdd7, it said there were bad blocks, stopped the installation and rebooted. I tried starting up Knoppix, ran fsck -a on /dev/hdd7, which finished. I then restarted the install and did the same thing. Got the same message and it stopped the format and install. I would figure fsck -a would with either fix the bad blocks or mark them and then I could re-install and everything would be fine. But this didn't happen. I am not sure about skipping the check for bad blocks and just formatting, because the install could produce more problems than I currently have. Question is, how do I fix the bad blocks so RedHat 9 will install? Thanks in advance for the help

Jim Macdonald

I had exactly the same experience last week-end when I did a clean reïnstall of RH9. Though RH9 has been running on the same partitions for more than 6 months without any incidents, the installer reported bad sectors while checking the HD and it left me no option but to exit.

So checked the disk again, using PM8 and finding no errors, I bravely installed RH9 again without any trouble. Let's hope it stays that way.