Compatible Support Forums
Kain Bloodstone

USB Device Not Recognized (Malfunction)

Thats definately a weird problem.

The problem we are all having doesn't appear to be a software problem like you might have. When we plug our 'defective' device into ANY other computer, it works fine.

I'm thinking that the source of our problems is a hardware defect in the USB ports...or maybe a bad motherboard, as some seem to have fixed their problem by replacing the motherboard, something I am not willing to do....yet.

I hope you get yours fixed.

While I'm on the subject, has anyone in this thread fixed their problem yet? Or are we all still completely lost?

UPDATE:

I ran the HP scan, and it came up with nothing.

I'm going to go ahead and uninstall the drive from device manager and see what happens.

Hi, I'm an italian guy who is experiencing the same problem as you.

I bought a HP DV6276EA Laptop a couple of months ago and in the first one I never had problems with my usb peripherals.

After the first month, all new peripherals results as Unknown Devices, but the ones used in the past still work.

To check if it's an HW or SW problem, I download the Linux Knoppix 5.1 Live CD and booted my PC under Linux, and all peripherals works without any problem.

So, I exclude that, in my case and in the one similar to mine, it could be an hardware problem or a problem caused by the notherboard, it's just a bug of Windows Vista, so we must wait for a fix.

PS. Fix 925528 doesn't work on my system.

PS2. Sorry for my poor english...

My problem is on a Windows XP Machine.

I still can't solve this one.

If your vista update didn't work, try contacting HP, they will probably end up replacing your motherboard. So far that is the only solution for this problem that I have been able to find.

I don't think that replacing my motherboard will resolve my problem.

As I sayd, all works as well under Linux, so motherboard has not any problem...

Ah.

Well then, your stuck on the same boat I am frown

Join the club...

If for some reason you find a resolution, let us know.

Ive tried many many things to no avail. You can find a complete reference of things others and myself have tried on these 9 pages...

Good luck.

I've tried everything in the previous pages and nothing solved my problem.

It's very strange that the problem is present even on Windows XP, I thought that it was a Windows Vista bug... well, I hope Microsoft will do something for us, I payd the OS (it was pre-installed on the laptop) and I want to use it at all, not only with old peripherals...

Bye

If this problem is occuring on your PC, try a different power supply. The guy who's PC was crashing randomly is more than likely a PSU problem.

Adding the extra USB device could be the straw that broke the camels back, drawing that little bit too much power and crashing everything.

If the whole PC shutsdown, its probably that or overheating.

For laptop users, try faffing about in the BIOS for something related to USB. Turn it off, boot, turn it on, boot and try again. You'll find the option in Integrated Peripherals, Connectivity or similar. (Hammer F2 or delete during start up; straight after you switch on your PC).

If a USB device isn't recognised in your PC, try it in another to see if the same problem continues. If it does, the device is to blame not your computer. Newer USB devices ONLY work with USB 2.0 and not 1.0 or 1.1 which can cause Windows to say that its not recognised. If its a cheap USB device then it'll not be backwards compatible with 1.0 or 1.1.

My aging Sony Vaio loses the whole side connectivity if its on battery power randomly. That includes the USB ports and the sound card. It acts as if they aren't there, which sounds like a power issue. Sticking the power cable in and restarting fixes the problem.

Just to let you know, Microsoft unfortunately don't care about your problems as you have already bought their product. The Vista bug will be worked out by the motherboard manufacturer not by Microsoft. Check their site for additional updated drivers.

Hope this helps someone smile

In my BIOS there's nothing about USB peripherals, and I don't think that USB is the problem itself, because even SD and MMC cards suffer the same problem, only one works, the one used when everything was ok, all the others don't.

So, it's a Windows Vista problem because he can't recognize any new peripheral, or better he recognize them (if I put a pendrive he tells me that is a flash drive, if I put a SD card he recognize it as a SD card) but doesn't want to let them run, telling that no drivers was found.

Yesterday I flashed my BIOS with a new version but nothing has changed...

Italian HP customer care solved my problem.

I wrote them my problem and they asked me so:

1) go in the peripherals list, My Computer->Manage

2) right-click on the unknown peripheral

3) select Update software driver

4) specify the path C:\Windows\system32

I thought they were joking, because windows usually scan system32 automatically to find a driver for the device, and I even tried to tell the system to scan whole HDD for a driver in the past and nothing was found.

Now I tried what HP suggested me and... it happened, my pendrive has been found and installed correctly!

I don't know what to say, that ridiculous, a ridiculous Windows bug!

Now the only thing I must discover is how to tell the system to scan system32 directory automatically... someone knows?

You could try this:

Start -> Run:

regedit

browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

Create or edit data which name is Installation Sources (data type REG_MULTI_SZ)

add the "C:\Windows\System32" to it.

I made what you suggested but the path is already present.

Could it be a matter of access permissions?

Greystar, thats AWESOME!!

That worked on a Vista PC though, right?

I can't believe I didn't think of that myself.

I'm currently in the process of moving, but once I get my PC unpacked again, I'm sure gonna give that a try. Hopefully it works on XP PC's too... *crosses fingers*

Having recently had the same 'device not recognized' message after moving my XP machine, I have read this thread entirely and have solved my problem by simply uninstalling all of my USB devices in Device Manager, shutting down and unplugging for half an hour then re-booting as normal with all devices in place.

Win XP Home not only recognized all previously unrecognized devices but also found a driver online to make my aerial dongle work and told me how to make my Lacie external hard drive operate faster too! I have rebooted since and all is still good.

I don't know if it will last or work for everyone. I seldom have a good word for Microsoft but this time they seem to have come up trumps.

I think the key with most MS problems is to think as simply as possible. No need to format or fiddle with the bios or registry, just disassemble and let MS try to put it back together!

Hope that helps.

A slight aside:

Like politicians and most corporates, Microsoft is driven by marketing. They love catch phrases like 'plug and play'. What they actually mean is that each device will be covered by a driver that will make it work on their operating systems. What they don't say is that their operating system is actually more basic and less clever than the slogan that their marketing people devised.

Don't be fooled by words!

i have had this problem for about a year and a half now, i first bought my laptop 2 years ago, from IbuyPower.com (not a name brand). no problems whatsoever during the first six months, then suddenly my USB devices started not being recognised. ok no woop my USB device died....just to check however i try it on another computer on which it works fine...ok then. After this my ports fixed and died on and off i could not find a patern. i contacted the manufacturer none of their over the phone solutions worked i sent the computer in, they sent it back saying the problem was fixed. it was for about 10 hours smirk then it came back, at this point my warranty was over (wonderful) since then ive tried every single solution ive found [including those found in this thread i hadnt tried before]..none have worked...however i have found some odd trends:

Global trends-

- This seems to occur Mostly on laptops

- nothing known will fix it but it often fixes itself temporarily

- turning off a computer, unplugging power/supply for 30 mins will make them work again sometimes (something about the Mobo getting too much juice)

personal trends-

Assuming they are fixed at the time

-exessive use of my Wireless card (internet) seems coreletated to when they crash

-Computer heat seems corelated to when they crash

-Computer 'power plan' seems to make diferences

-leaving a computer on too long and they crash

- leaving my hand on the laptop near the USB ports seems to cause them to crash (may be related to heat?)

-sometimes crash for a sec, and come right back, at this time my mouse's LED blinks wildely, shuts off, blinks wildely again, if my mouse comes back online the LED works again, if it doesnt the LED shuts off

Assuming they are broken at the time:

-leaving a computer on for extended periods of time *may make them work again

-turning everythign off, and unplugging any and all power supplies (battery included) for the night makes them turn on again fairly consistently (95% of the time), again this solution was suggested for Mobo getting overload of juice

other trends:

even though they do not detect devices, they provide power e.g.- my cooling plate USB powered works, even though none of my devices are recognized (this has been reported by diferent people over the net)

Solutions i have tried-

1) reinstalling all my USBS

2) restacking them

3)reformating (to my dismay this did Nothing)

4) upgrading to vista

5) all the registry things

6) all the BIOS things

7) IRQ things

8) and many other solutions

most of these solutions did nothing, and those that did are only temporary and eratic, the only one i can use fairly consistently is a complete shutdown and removal of power for long periods of time (over 12 hours) this will make them work again for short periods of time.

I am really hoping someone can come up with an actual permanent solution, as this makes gaming (and many other things Photoshop etc etc) extremlly hard

You may have already did this, but did you try to contact the company and ask what they did to "fix" the problem, also telling them that it did not work? If the work was done under warranty, then they should honor it and work with you.

Is the laptop always connected directly to a power outlet, or through a surge protector? Does it happen only when on battery power or anytime, regardless?

I would also appreciate some feed back. Because I am still having problems too =/

So I guess that the Vista upgrade didn't work?

Originally Posted By: danleff
You may have already did this, but did you try to contact the company and ask what they did to "fix" the problem, also telling them that it did not work? If the work was done under warranty, then they should honor it and work with you.

Is the laptop always connected directly to a power outlet, or through a surge protector? Does it happen only when on battery power or anytime, regardless?

aye i did ask them and i got no answers..and they didnt honor it smirk

hmm well the laptop is connected through surge protector usually but at school or my freinds it is connected in normal plugs, and the problem happens regardless of battery power our outlet

Originally Posted By: Kain Bloodstone
I would also appreciate some feed back. Because I am still having problems too =/

So I guess that the Vista upgrade didn't work?

nope it didnt...a solution that ive though of, may be to buy a PCI USB port card..it wont fix your actual USBs but itll let you use USBs...however ive seen reports where they work, and others where the same problem over with their new card.

another solution ive thought of bu not tried yet, again this wouldn fix your current problem but maybe allow you to use USBs, is if you computer has Printer ports or firewire or PS/2 ports...maybe find a converter/adapter so you can plug you devices into these ports instead?

i have not tried either of these solutions, as i dont have enough money to buy a 40$ dollar PCI card or adapter (expensive for laptops) and i havent found a converter/adaptor (i know there are ps/2 ones, but my laptop has no ps/2 ports

I also have the same problem.. USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED!!!

I plugged my EPSON printer after I brought it in a repairshop,, and guess what??? The balloon pop-up and said that it didn't recognized my printer. What?? So I reinstall the cd, but it didn't solve my problem. I read all this thread about USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED. I tried to shut my pc and disconnect the main socket. But nothing happened?! I also tried the BIOS thingy and it didn't help. I use windows XP.

Now, I can't use my mp3, digicam, and my nokia PC suite.

If you find the solution for this fiasco, just post it. Im desperate!!! Next week I'll try to reformat my PC, even though it didn't work for you. Thanks guys!!

Originally Posted By: Borg22
another solution ive thought of bu not tried yet, again this wouldn fix your current problem but maybe allow you to use USBs, is if you computer has Printer ports or firewire or PS/2 ports...maybe find a converter/adapter so you can plug you devices into these ports instead?

Yeah, one of my USB Devices is a Logitech Mouse that runs through USB. I happen to have a USB/PS2 Converter (came with the mouse, yippee), all I did was plug the mouse into the converter, then plug that into the PS/2 port for the mouse, and the mouse works that way. But using the USB port directly into the computer does not work.

I kinda figured that upgrading to Vista wouldn't fix the problem. But thanks for the confirmation.

I don't see how adding a new PCI card with usb ports would work, means how it would still be running off the Motherboard which seems to be the cause of the problem. People have reported that replacing the Motherboard is a sure fire fix.

I have another question though, has anyone tried switching from Windows to Linux OS? Perhaps the usb problem is a M$ Windows Software bug??? The way I see it, is if you switch to Linux and your USB ports work again, we can start knocking on M$'s door.

in this thread itself, some people had luck with the Windows->Linux switch, others it didn't do anything for them. this is the only place where i have seen that idea considered so i don't have any other results to compare to sorry.

as for it being motherboard based...USB-ports on Laptops are part of the mo-bo, intergrated into it, therefore replacing the mo-bo as that gentleman had done in this thead for his laptop would have replaced the USB's meaning we do not know if it is mo-bo or USB oriented problem smirk

OK. I have a pentium D 3.4Ghz machine with a 661GX-M7 motherboard.

I have a GForce FX5200 128mb video card, with 1.5 GB of ram. Recently upgraded.

I have Windows XP.

I have solved the "USB device is not recognised" problem, by going into the bios and disabling "USB 2.0 Support" option. (near "USB Legacy Support", and "USB Mouse Support"). Everything works fine. My 512k internet connection has no slow down in ping for games and everything works fine.

Yeah my data transfer will be slower on my 1G memory stick but who cares? I use it once a month for relatively small files so it's not like I need the speed.

No other solutions worked and I couldn't be bothered trying anything else.

So it comes down to only an issue with 2.0 on my system. If this works for other people, then the problem must have something to do with USB 2.0