Compatible Support Forums
ptkfgs5

Resident Evil 2 PC trial and errors

so i have windows xp sp2 like many people who have had problems with the save games and ive tried the following things

-Running game regularly | RESULT:cant load games ive saved with the Leon 00 waiting room and saying load failed

-Change the compatability tab on the actual game shortcut to win95 /win98 compatable | RESULT: nothing

-Used windows compatability tools to change compatability to win95 and win98 | RESULT: load game screen turns up completely blank and freezes

Now ive heard people are switching the save game folder to c:\resident evil 2 and having it working but the problem with that is that i cannot change the folder at all,i get the "unable to find file.please reboot and try again". even when im trying to reinstall it the save game folder will freeze if i try to change it

im really stuck here guys this is one of my fav games of all time and i cant even play it cry

I had the same problem you had. I have windows xp with sp2. I installed the game and when I would go to load the game the load entry would be blank. When I'd try to load it, it would say load fail. I browsed another site and saw someone got it working by running the game in Windows 95 compatibility mode. I made a shortcut to the game on my desktop. I went into the compatibility properties of the shortcut. I checked "Run in compatibility mode for" and selected "Windows 95". I fired the game up, went to the load. This time the load entry was not blank. I could see the name of the saved game. I then loaded it successfully. I know you said you did this, but if I were you, I'd try again and do everything exactly like I just did. It should work when running in Win95 capability mode.

Dear fixsoc35: I had the exact same problem as you regarding the PC version for Resident Evil 2. The game installer would freeze if I changed the folder installation path, the error "Unable to find the file. Please reboot." would show up if I tried to change the save game directory, the game would crash and shut down everytime I tried to use the effing typewriter or load a game. Not that there was any other game to load except for "Leon/00/Waiting Room"

Changing compatibility to Win95/Win 98 didn't do much to help either. But I managed to find a way to fix this problem, and restore my saved games. Here's what you should do:

Go to the folder where your save games directory is:

For example: C:\Program Files\Capcom\Resident Evil2

Inside that folder you should be able to see a number of Resident2 Files of about 2KB each. These are your saved game files

Cut and paste that folder with these files directly under your hard disk, so that the new path reads something like:

C:\Resident Evil2

Obviously "C:\" will vary depending on what your hard disk's name is so it could be "K:\" or "L:\" or "M:\" but for simplicity's sake, let's call it "C:\"

Now go to the Start Menu < Run and type in: regedit

This should open the Windows Registry Editor

**WARNING: Improperly editing the registry can be fatal to your system. Changing just one value incorrectly can cause program processes to malfuntion and render your computer useless. Make sure you save a back-up before attempting to change the registry. And please follow instructions very carefully. **

Now go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE < SOFTWARE < CAPCOM < RESIDENT EVIL2

On the right side there should be a name that says "Save Path" (usually the second to the last one on the list) right-click it and select "Modify"

Change the value data to the new location of the folder containing your saved game files (C:\Resident Evil2) and click okay.

On the game launcher, the save game directory should have been changed and now you should be able to play, save and load to your heart's content.

Steve453: You da man!!! That was all I needed as well. (The registry change didn't do me any good though.)

How to fix Resident Evil 2's save/load problem for Windows XP.

1.) You must install a fresh copy of RE2 to this location C:\RESIDENT EVIL2. (Im not sure about moved saved games, but you can try to move your old saved game files to new location.)

2.) Once installed and CD is in the drive goto CD-ROM drive and explore the contents (Right click, explore).

3.) Once inside the disc navigate to REGIST, to the LEONP.exe, or CLAIRP.exe. (or CLAIRU.exe, LEONU.exe, what ever the case maybe)

4.) Right click the exe file and create a shortcut to your desktop.

5.) Goto your desktop and right click the shortcut. Goto compatability, and enable windows 95 capable mode.

Your RE2 should work, load, and save games correctly at this point! Have fun, and be sure to use the shortcut exe from now on.

To fix the laggy game play problem in Windows XP simply have Windows Media Player running and minimized in the background.

-ReBoRn

At first i had the same problem and I was very angry mad

But the solution was:

-*THIS WORKS!!*-

1.Right click LEONP.exe

2.select properties

3.select compability

4.choose Windows 98/Windows Me

5.press OK

6.Have Fun And A Nice Game...

I used to have problems with accessing saved games and so forth, so I followed the procedures from a couple posts from others that helped me resolved the issue.

I have managed to complete the game once using one character and unlocked the Hard Mode.

Now there is a whole new problem.

After playing "Hard Mode" through the streets, that just below the stairs since I didn't pick up any items reaching the police station, that I was fighting the special zombie. During this battle as 4 seconds past, the game screen turned black and I didn't know why it was doing this. Next thing that came up was the game told me "An Error Occurred" and stop responding so it gave me 2 choices to "send error report" or "do not send".

Does anyone have any idea why this problem is happening?