Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nhmalbert

changing user for XP

new user to company is getting someone elses XP machine. what needs to be changed so that the new user is acknowledged and old user profile is eliminated

Is this for local computer? E.g. not in domain?

If it is then:

Login with Administrator.

To create new account:

1. Open User Accounts in Control Panel.

2. Click Create a new account.

3. Type a name for the new user account, and then click Next.

4. Click Computer administrator or Limited, depending on the type of account you want to assign to the new user, and then click Create Account.

To delete old account:

Goto Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Choose the old account you want to delete -> Click Delete the account -> If you want to remove all account files click Delete files -> Then Delete Account.

If this is for (2003) server, then someone other, who is more experienced with server management can help you more than I... smile

If the profile is saved on the machine instead of one of the servers, then just delete the profile with admin privs. Also, if this is on a domain or active directory, just delete the old user account via user manager.

Rather yet, you said a new user in your company. Doesn't your company have their own ITs to deal with this?

Originally posted by theefool:

Quote:

Rather yet, you said a new user in your company. Doesn't your company have their own ITs to deal with this?

maybe its a small company then smile

when i started my company before i got drafted , we didnt have any ITs.. but then again. we were a all ITs. just specialized in certain areas.. hehe. made homepages and arranged huge lan parties with hundreds of people. ah i remember the frustration when nobody who came had never patched their computer in their entire life and nobody had firewall or anitvirus. i mean. who dont have that nowadays? people running BeOS wouldnt need AV as much though, but im sure im one of the few who still love the dumped OS project BeOS.

All, I'm saying is that, when I was in charge of the network, I'd restrict user access to certain things. Creating, deleting user accounts was a biggy. Anyway. That was when I was part of the Military. Part of an highly secure intel command. When I say secure I mean nothing could get through.

So, If I was in a position where a coworker was leaving, I'd get the IT head to fix it. Perhaps my military background has screwed this up in the civilian corps.

Thanks for the info. Company IT person is on leave. Just trying to make sure we weren't missing anything in the new setup.