Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nortenyo

Is it possible to play Tie Fighter on a windows XP system?

I know Tie Fighter is not compatible with XP off the bat, but is there a way to tricking the install program to thinking it is running on DOS mode? I just want to play Tie Fighter...a great space combat game. Probably the greatest ever.

How do you configure Tie Fighter installation so that it works with Windows XP? The sound card configuration doesnt work and the flight simulation wont work on high resolution. What are your suggestions? Thank you.

The sound card doesn't work properly and you have to play it in low res, but yes it can be made to work under XP. Simply run the install and once it is installed, create a shortcut to the TIE.EXE program located on the root of the CD and then put the compatibility mode of that shortcut to Win 95 or 98.

I'm playing the Collector's CD-ROM under Win XP SP2, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

I can run Tie Fighter under XP. No problems except for sound. So I used VDMSound and it detected my soundcard or the emulated one actually. After this I click on Tie.exe and click "Play with VDMSound" but then it tells me that it cannot detect the CD. Error#3 I believe, is what it called it.

Also it tells me that if the CD is already in the CD-Rom then I need to check the Drivers to see if their loaded. I know I'm like one step away from playing the game, so any help would be most appreciated. Thx.

Try enabling the "Enable low-level CD-ROM support (MSCDEX)" in the VDMSound-shortcut.

I use XP, and I can't even get the installer to work. It says that this file is not usable or something like that in a box that has the title 16 bit DOS mode or subsystem. SOmething like that. So none of the solutions work since I can't even get to the installer.

Originally posted by Jaydinator:

Quote:
It says that this file is not usable or something like that in a box that has the title 16 bit DOS mode or subsystem.

See signature.

(If I would get a penny every time I post that...)

Wilhelmus, thanks, that actually worked. I tried the DOS box thing once, and I found that I am too used to having a Graphical User Interface. Unfortunately, I ran into a new problem, probably a bigger one. I started the Tie Fighter installation program, and before the launch screen could come up, my graphics crashed, it was all lines and stuff. I had gotten that part to work on DOS box, but not using the method I got from you. But on DOS box, I can't seem to be able to figure out how to install things. As soon as I click install on DOS box, I get a message from it saying, "installation unsuccessful, installation unsuccessful. Check to see if you have enough memory". I think I did not mount the c drive correctly, but if thats the case than their instructions for DOS box are pieces of sh%t. Any solution to then new problem?