Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
star_123

I need help with the sims 2

I just installed the sims 2 and tried to play it. However, when i click on the icon, there will be a message "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate." So what should i do to rectify the problem?

What graphics card do you have? See DEvice Manager. On board graphics cards and most laptops will not be DX 9/Sims2 compatible.

Kay, i downloaded my Sims 2 fine, but when i click on it the white box that says "the sims 2" pops up and thats all!!!..nothing else happens. I dont know much, so please try to help..I really wanna play it smile

Originally posted by star_123:

Quote:
is intel® 82815 graphics controller a graphic card?

The Intel 815 chipset is insufficient for playing Sims 2. You'll need to buy a new video card.

Ok ok so I have almost the same problem as you all. I installed the game. I can play it with a no-cd crack but I can't build walls so I have to play with the cd (I hate playing with cds). I got 2 cd(1). The correcte one and the other one has the .iso on it. So here's the big deal. I just can't run the game. It shows the The Sims 2 logo but nothing else happen. My bf found an iso on the net and runs it with Alcohol 120% and it works fine. But the problem is that I can't make an iso of my original cd AND can't copy the iso (protected I supose) I have on my cd-rom on my HD. It says "Fonction MS-Dos non valide" (french => MS-DOS function incorrect). I have DirectX9.0c on my comp and have a bad but working gfx card. So what do you propose to me?

I propose that you buy the game and use the original game CD. This board is not, nor has it ever been, nor will it ever be a place to seek/provide assistance with circumventing copy protection measures.

My daughter has recently purchased sims2 and we have windows ME. We have downloaded directx 9.0 but when we try to use sims2 it says we need directx 9.0.. Being a little technophobic we are really stuggling. star 123 appears to have same problem

adamvjackson wrote : I propose that you buy the game and use the original game CD. This board is not, nor has it ever been, nor will it ever be a place to seek/provide assistance with circumventing copy protection measures.

I wrote : "I can't make an iso of my original cd"

I got the original copy big dummy! Get back to school and learn to read!

I did read that. Creating an ISO (or otherwise "imaging" your original CD) is in violation of the EULA, and probably also a violation of the DMCA (assuming you're in the US), as it would constitute breaking of the copy protection mechanisms.

Also, please don't resort to name-calling. I post here on my own free time to help others, of no benefit to myself.

I'm not flaming so dont take it as such, however it is you adamvjackson who are wrong. In the United States of America, you are allowed ONE personal (backup) copy of ANY CD, AND allowed an additional installation on ONE mobile PC (by the same owner) in ADDITION to your desktop PC. This is WELL known, and PERFECTLY LEGAL. This is United States LAW and supercedes ANYTHING ANY EULA states. If ANY EULA is contradictory, that EULA IS NULL AND VOID in the United States of America.

/edit

It is also NOT againt the DMCA

/edit

corpse45, I agree that you're not flaming, but clearly since you registered to spread mis-information, you're trolling. Additionally, you cite no source as to your claims, only that I am "wrong".

I suggest you read up on contract law and the DMCA as it applies to software.

Quote:
Since software is governed not only by copyright law but also by the contract that you agree to when you accept the EULA, make sure you know what is there.

Quote:
If you are unable to make a useable copy of your software, chances are it is secured by some form of copy protection. In the United States, this falls under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which among other things makes it illegal to attempt to bypass or defeat copy protection that has been instituted by the copyright holder. At the time of writing, no legal recourse exists for making archival copies of your software.

Quote:
Commercial software generally includes a warranty, the same as any other product. Though the terms will vary depending on the package, these generally provide for replacement of the software media (CD) and/or a refund from the point of purchase, providing all original packaging is returned. Of course, warranties are never easy to claim... If you are concerned about not being able to backup your expensive software, contacting the publisher is really your only current recourse other than violating copyright.

Source: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=868&page=3

Additional Information: http://www.fact-index.com/d/di/digital_millennium_copyright_act.html

Additionally, since the user dryalkiel was looking to circumvent the copy protection mechanisms placed on The Sims 2 media, this clearly IS a violation of the DMCA.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find a copy of The Sims 2 EULA on my special edition DVD, perhaps it is embedded in the installer executable file.

This has gone off-topic enough.

adamvjackson please leave corpse45 alone! True, you are here on your own free will and free time, to help others like you said. But from what I see you are not helping anyone here. As a senior member of this forum, it seems that you do have a lot of time to kill, why not look through the forum, 'help' those who really needs your help? Just a friendly advice, reply only if you have something constructive to say, please!!!!

Originally posted by campfire:

Quote:
adamvjackson please leave corpse45 alone! True, you are here on your own free will and free time, to help others like you said. But from what I see you are not helping anyone here.

My response to corpse45 was not inflammatory, just stating the facts, correcting his inaccuracies. Ask yourself this; Was the information I provided in my response to corpse45 inaccurate? No. Therefore, it is worthwhile, and relevent since there were requests for information on how to circumvent the implaced copy protections. Always remember, just because you can do something, does not mean you may legally do so.

Continuing, you may want to take a look at some of my +/-2000 other posts, or not, your choice. But it's never best to make uninformed assumptions.

Quote:
As a senior member of this forum, it seems that you do have a lot of time to kill, why not look through the forum, 'help' those who really needs your help? Just a friendly advice, reply only if you have something constructive to say, please!!!!

Again, I don't have much free time (not that it's specifically any of your business), but when I do, I prefer to either post on LinuxCompatible or reply to other advanced users here, so I don't have to explain the basic stuff. I guess that's just because I'm either busy or lazy. You choose.

To find out what card you have, click Start, Run, type Dxdiag.exe, click on OK. Click on Display and on the top left it should display the Name of your graphics card.

Also, it will display it in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and look under Display Adapters.

For slower cards, run Sims 2 with the -w (window) option.

I thought I had posted this earlier today, but I can not find it anywhere.

I have issues with Win ME and Sims 2. It loads and I can get to any of the cities and I can load the city, but I can not load the "Create Families" or people in general. The game freezes everytime and says it has Crashed.

I ran the check and everything checks out, so I am at a loss as to what could be the problem.

This is what the Electronics easy info says.

Your System Game Requirements

Operating System (Get Updates) Microsoft Windows ME (Millennium Edition) Windows XP/2000/98/ME

System Memory 256.3 256.0

Processor Speed 996.7 800 MHz

DirectX Version (Get Updates) 9.0c 9.0c

Display Device (Get Drivers) NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS (Gateway) ((((((((((This has a blue ! ))))))))

Display Memory 64.0 32.0

Display Driver 4.12.01.0532

((((((((((This has a blue ! ))))))))

Sound Device (Get Drivers) SB Live! Wave Device

Sound Driver 5.12.01.3041

((((((((((This has a blue ! ))))))))

bold textbold textbold text

Hi

I am new on this site and i just got the Sims 2 on PC

I installed it and then went to play the game but it said that i had no DirectX 9.0 adapters in my system. I first thought it was my computer only but then i came on here and found out that it has happened to alot of people. i have read some of the soulitions but dont understand them.

Can someone please help me and explain it to me in ENGLISH.

Originally posted by smithua:

Quote:
...no DirectX 9.0 adapters...

Can someone please help me and explain it to me in ENGLISH.

OK, in the simplest English I can:

DirectX is a technology from Microsoft that enables game writers to use all of the funky functionality in your computer: sound, 3d graphics, mice, joysticks and more. The whole idea behind DirectX is that it means that game writers don't have to reinvent the wheel every time they write a game - Microsoft does the wheel invention, the game writers can worry about the other bits of the car wink

Most PCs come with built-in functionality for things like sound, graphics (i.e. the output to your monitor), but to keep costs down the functionality of these built-in components is usually very basic. The Intel adapters that people talk about are examples of cheap built-in graphics adapters.

If you open up your PC, you will notice that there are a few slots that run perpendicular to the back of the case (usually between 3 and 5 cream coloured slots, and one brown slot, spaced slightly apart from the cream slots). These slots are there to enable you to add additional functionality to your PC - and is one of the reasons why the PC has become so popular: it's upgradability.

The brown slot is an "AGP slot" (what this means doesn't really matter here), this is where you can upgrade the graphics capability of your PC by plugging in a new card. By upgrade, I mean here "can play modern games" - because most built-in graphics functionality is fine for normal Windows use, it's not very good at 3D stuff like games.

As the versions of DirectX have increased (the latest version is 9.0c), so the complexity of add-in graphics cards has increased, to the point where the current crop of games are offering near cinematic quality (check out some screenshots of Half Life 2 if you don't believe me).

Sims2 is one of these current crop of games that requires a lot of oomph (technical term wink ) from a graphics adapter, and what a lot of people are finding is that their built-in graphics adapters do not offer enough oomph that Sim2 wants - hence the message.

The error message is caused by the fact that your graphics adapter (probably built-in) doesn't have enough oomph for DirectX 9 - the only option is to go to your local PC store and buy a new graphics adapter. A new graphics adapter can cost from $50 to $500, depending on how much oomph you want - a sensible price point would be around the $100 mark.

Hope this helps - if you need anything clarifying, just let us know.

Rgds

AndyF

italic textOkay, pls don't think I'm an idiot, and I apologize now for reiterating what has already been posted. I originally got on here to help my mom run it from her PC, and in the process ordered the game, and convinced my sis to do so as well. I have an Inspiron 9300 Intel Pentium Processor 1.86 Gh and Dx version 5.03.2600.2180 32 bit code. I am also currently downloading the current Feb version of Dx. Should this satisy Sims requirements?

Originally posted by staceyislandgirl:

Quote:
italic text I have an Inspiron 9300 Intel Pentium Processor 1.86 Gh and Dx version 5.03.2600.2180 32 bit code. I am also currently downloading the current Feb version of Dx. Should this satisy Sims requirements?

Erm, that is not your directx version, that is version of dxdiag app. smile

Look for "DirectX version:". It should say: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904). And remember, you'll need DX9 support in your graphics card too.

See this:

http://sims2.servopro.com/sysreq.phtml

You can also download System Requirements Checker from the same page.

Extract the files for example to "c:\directxfeb", then you can run the setup from there.*

What graphics card you got? Have you tried that system requirements checker application?

<edit>

*(you did mean the directx february package?)

</edit>

Okay, saving to C drive. And sorry for not knowing as much as you do, I'm sure it gets old having to explain things that come so easily to you...know that I said that, LOL, where do I find out what graphics card I have? And I was going to run the checker, but all of the pop ups and warnings...last thing I need is to crash my puter....?

sincerely,

Stace