Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sp4rk911

Emulators: HOW DO U USE EM?!

frown how do u use emulators. ive downloaded mame, neoragex and

all that stuff but i just dont get what all these files r for.

i know they are for playing those classic games that have 8 bit

and 16 bit graphics but the steps are weird. i am stranded.

somebody help ;(

ummm, with mame, theres the "roms" dir, i usually put all my roms in there (currently just ova 2000 romz), i dont play it much id rather play ps1 games with connectix vgs but winxp wont let me. anyways after configuring the sound, graphics, etc.

there is a menu to add rom directories, just add the directory which contains all ur roms, back to the main screen just refresh it, and pick any game u want. i recommend having a resolution in mame set to one less then your actual computer resolution, this way u can play in a window and the graphics wont bee too streched and pixelated.

either way, just mess round with the settings figure out what suits you best.

Antonio

Well, to make them work you actually need two things.

First, the emulators, but you already got these right?

Since your computer most likely does not have a compatible interface to read the cartridge containing the game, you will have to "dump" it into a binary file. These are commonly called roms.

There are two way of getting these. First you can get a special piece of hardware that can read the cartridge. But these are becoming difficult to get.

... or you may try to seek these images on the net. However nobody can help you with this. With a bit of imagination you will most likely get some.

The CD based consoles aren't that hard however since your CD (or DVD) drive can read the original CDs. Try not to use copies these usually don't work that well anyway.

Hope that does help!

Skorpio,

Quote:
id rather play ps1 games with connectix vgs but winxp wont let me

If you want a PS1 emulator that works (and works well) try out ePSXs, http://www.epsxe.com/

Although it hasn't been updated for a while, I've not had a problem with any of my PS1 games.

Originally posted by sp4rk911:

Quote:
frown how do u use emulators. ive downloaded mame, neoragex and

all that stuff but i just dont get what all these files r for.

i know they are for playing those classic games that have 8 bit

and 16 bit graphics but the steps are weird. i am stranded.

somebody help ;(

W00T You stole my username I use everywhere

Yes, ePSXe is quite good, it's the only PS emulator that I use. Your results will only be as good as the plug-ins that you choose.

Personally, I use Pete's plug-ins, but it's pretty easy to get overwhelmed with the number of options/settings if you are unfamiliar with what they change.

Also, with ePSXe, you'll need to dump the ROM BIOS of your PlayStation console, as it's copyrighted software/IP of Sony. You can find the version of the BIOS on the bottom of your PS console, such as SCPH-7502, etc.