Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

Invalid boot.ini file

I get this message when I boot:

Invalid boot.ini file

Booting from c:\winnt\

I looked under System Properties/Advanced/Startup & recovery and find the drop down box for operation systems blank!

I looked at the boot.ini file and it looks ok even after comparing it to another boot.ini file from another box.

This is 2k w/sp4 installed. The boot.ini file was modified to allow changing the boot screen (Little White Dog) which I have done many times before (w/sp3) and it worked the first boot, but didn't after that stating it couldn't find the ntoskrnl.exe file (that was where it should be). I put the old boot.ini file back and this is where I am now.

It does boot after that error though.

Hope that makes sense....any ideas??

90% of that is over my head except the 'save as' format part. It was saved as a ANSI format as I assume the others were (that worked before).

I will try to save it as a Unicode format.

The boot.ini file looks like this:

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

I resaved it as a Unicode format, but it still barks at me.

Theres an application included with XP Pro that will create/edit the boot.ini file. I don't know if this is included with 2000 nor can I remember what it was called. I seem to remember it being a command line program though.

Quote:
(Question: Is the WINNT folder in fact/indeed on your FIRST partition?)
Yes it is on the first partition.

I compared this with my other box's boot.ini file and it read the same.

Quote:
Theres an application included with XP Pro that will create/edit the boot.ini file. I don't know if this is included with 2000 nor can I remember what it was called. I seem to remember it being a command line program though.
Everything I have read says just to use notepad. It has worked in the past for me.

Here is what the boot.ini file looks like now:

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

It still gives me the error. Mind you it DOES boot ok, but with the error message just after the bios screen.

it looks ok to me.. hmmm.. you might need to boot from recovery/boot disk and run fixboot.

good luck.

Why all that if it is just this small file?

How can I extract the boot.ini file from the I368 folder on the CD without expanding the whole folder?

It's the best I can suggest, since boot.ini looks fine.. BTW, it sould be in ANSI.

I have also received this message (Invalid boot.ini file / Booting from C:/WINNT) in the past when booting up and no one could ever tell me correctly how to fix the problem...

Try this simple solution...

Copy and paste your boot.ini file from wherever it is running from (in this case, C:/WINNT) to your C: directory.

Hopefully, this should fix the problem.

I read this item with interest - I was having the same problem, invalid boot.ini. The suggestion from cmay - copy and paste the file - worked for me.

However, in the process of searching for an answer on my own, I find that my sysedit in unable to open either the config.sys or the autoexec.bat files. Perhaps this is related to the boot.ini problem? I tried to copy the files from C:\windows\command\ebd to C: but this did not fix it. Any ideas?

One other observation - I first noticed the 'invalid boot.ini' problem right after installing an upgrade to Nero that required a reboot. Is that how the problem started for others?

I've noticed this problem after installing or uninstalling a lot of freeware programs downloaded from the net (which require a reboot).

I have the same problem on my PC (Win XP Home). I have just installed an USB to RS232 adapter, maybe that caused it?

I was going to copy the boot.ini from C:\WINNT to C:\ , but I can't find it.

I have swithced off "Hide protected op sys files" and switched on "Show hidden files and folders", but I find no boot.ini file.

I checked my boot.ini file and it is different from the one that videobruce posted. Mine is as follows:

[boot loader]

timeout=1

default=C:\WINNT

[operating systems]

C:\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 - Provided by AMS" /fastdetect

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Is this right? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to upgrade a Win 2000 server with Win 2003 Server and it's giving me an error saying that the NTOSKRNL.EXE file is either corrupt or doesn't exist. I thought that the boot.ini file might not be correct which is why I am not able to boot once I start to install Win 2003.

If somebody has any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

i used this and saved it as default - ANSI

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

it was on the windows bulletin board. the link was provided by someone elses reply.

works fine. just create a file in c:\ called boot.ini and put this info in. should work fine if windows is installed on c:.

you can check by going to start>run> type msconfig

then go to the tab that says boot.ini and it can check it out for you.

Videobruce,

It seems that the file you posted looks correct, assuming that your OS is the primary master drive in your system.

Can you check the permissions on that file and post them? Specifically, I am wondering if system has full control.