Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sapiens74

Radeon 9700 Pro and LCD monitors

If running Resolutions at higher refresh rates degrades performance, then will running the 9700 pro at 60HZ on a LCD run faster?

Quote:
If running Resolutions at higher refresh rates degrades performance, then will running the 9700 pro at 60HZ on a LCD run faster?

You should run the lcd monitor at the 'recomended' frequency. Usually 60-75HZ. Shouldn't make any siginificant difference as far as speed smile

You cannot compare CRT refresh rates with LCD refresh rates in general...different monitor technologies.

With an LCD, throw refresh rates, as we know them associated with CRT technonlogy, out the window.

A quality LCD, running at 60Hz, will have excellent performance if the TOTAL Pixel Response Time is less than 30ms.

"Pixel response rate:Measured in milliseconds or microseconds, this is the time it takes for a pixel to respond to voltage (to be turned "on") and then return back to its normal state. The shorter the pixel response rate, the more quickly the panel will be able to display and refresh images." (credit: Myles White, Understanding Flat Panel Technology)

With the radeon 9700pro, use DVI input from the LCD monitor.

An LCD's optimal performance happens at the manufacturer "recommended frequency," as already stated by jimf43.

Example, I'm running R9700pro, DVI, @ recommended native 60Hz, Samsung 191T. It will actually allow (spec 60-85Hz) setting as high as 85Hz, but native 60Hz works best.

I guess what I am asking is this:

At 60hz the CRT looks awful compred to 60HZ on an LCD

ON the CRT I get better performance with the lower refresh rate, but it looks awful

Since I can Use 60HZ on the LCD, and it looks good, will the performace be better as opposed to 100hz on the CRT?

Using a 19" Sony GDM-F400 monitor & R9700pro, I could enjoy refresh rates as high as 120Hz. Yes, performance could be enhanced some by backing up RR to 75Hz, with a hit in IQ, e.g..

Using the 191T Samsung LCD, DVI native @60Hz, the IQ is better than ANY resolution/RR combination on the Sony. Performance is excellent, as Total Pixel Response Time is <25ms.

The Sony GDM-F400 is (& has been) a great monitor combined with a good video card (e.g.R9700pro, GF4, Matrox anything), HOWEVER, I'll probably never use it again, after using the Samsung LCD. No more CRTs for me. Gaming performance is great & everyday work use is fantastic. Graphics haven't ever looked this good on the Sony, using any configuration/tweaks.

The best answer to your question also depends on the actual monitors you're trying to compare.