Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigcletus

desktop size changes when opening any window??

this is my girlfriends computer and she recently bought a new NEC multisync FE700+ monitor. The picture is great, but when the desktop is clear of all windows and a window opens, the whole screen expands and stays expanded until all windows are closed again. I have seen this on other cheaper computer monitors before and it is very annoying. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks for any help.

Hi I'm not sure I understand your problem? Which may or may not be monitor related.

Do you know the difference between a normal window state and a maximized one? In a normal window state a particular window will occupy some fraction of the screen in a maximized state a window will take up the whole screen minus the taskbar area if you have that set up to be omnipresent. There is nothing wrong with a program or your monitor if it displays in a maximized state. Quite to the contrary a maximized program is maximizing it's work area. This will allow it to display as many things as possible or use as large of fonts, pictures, and controls as possible in the your current screen's resolution. Some people (in my opinion novices) like to have their programs not take up the whole screen. If you are one of them just double-click the title bar and the program should change into a medial or normal windowstate which would cause the program to take up a smaller portion of the screen.

The other possibility is that you do in fact a monitor issue. You might check your manuals and make sure that your monitor isn't set at a refresh rate and or color depth that isn't supported by your monitor and or video card.

Also you could just have a bad monitor did you call NEC and describe your problem?

Good Luck,

Christian

Thanks for the response. And yes, I do know the difference between a normal/maximized window state. The problem exists when anything on the screen opens up ie: menus, any opening windows, ect. The edge of the screen that usually stops at the black border around the screen actually fluctuates in size. It is very annoying. As long as at least one window is open, it stays at the bigger size. It is very weird to see the whole screen expand and shreink constantly. It may be a problem with the monitor, but I have seen this problem occur on other monitors in the past, usually really cheap crappy monitors. This one is very nice however and has a very clear image. Oh well. Probably just try calling NEC. Thanks.

The technical term for this is 'blooming'.

It's caused when the electronics in the monitor have to switch from one colour to another quite quickly (as happens if you maximise a window).

It's normally a sign of cheap electronics in the monitor and isn't user fixable.

The only thing you can do is return the monitor and try a different one, or get it refunded and go for a different type of monitor altogether.

Hi Bursar,

Thanks for the vocubulary lesson. I love it when I learn cool new techno-jargon smile.

Cheers,

Christian

Quote:
The technical term for this is 'blooming'.

It's caused when the electronics in the monitor have to switch from one colour to another quite quickly (as happens if you maximise a window).

It's normally a sign of cheap electronics in the monitor and isn't user fixable.

The only thing you can do is return the monitor and try a different one, or get it refunded and go for a different type of monitor altogether.

Hmm so that's what "Blooming" is. I notice the word once in a while but had no idea what it meant.