Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CarlCX

Blade of Darkness under WinXP...

This may've been asked before; I know Google's cache showed NTCompatible listing the game as fine under WinXP Pro...but I run WInXP home. Regardless, my trauma for the day:

I was a happy Win98 user, with an affinity for the game. I recently upgraded to WinXP Home Edition, and in the process discovered that my hard drive had a rather massive virus infection. Purged the virus and moved on.

A little while later, my CD-rom drive began behaving erratically; opening and closing of its own accord. This became a large problem, as while trying to put the Blade of Darkness CD in for the first time since installing XP, it closed in mid-put and snapped the CD into three pieces. I wasn't happy. I tried to uninstall the game a bit later: the virus had messed up its files enough that it refused to go, and hence I deleted the files manually and left the registry entry.

Now...

On saturday, I bought Blade again. Went home and with a twinkle in my eye, placed the CD in the (new, non-satanic) drive and gleefully opened up My Computer, went to the disc and opened setup. The drive spun to life, whirred, my eyes grew wider as the "Wise Installation Wizard" splash screen came up, and then BoD's main...

...and then, another window popped up, and all my childlike hopes and dreams fell and were smashed on the sharp rocks of modern technology, broken like so many pieces of fine china. For in that box contained words so harmful they may as well have been taken from the satanic verses themselves:

"Error 1606. Could not access network location "..\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop"."

It taunted me with the "retry" option; in vain I clicked it, only to have it immediately pop back up, laughing in my face. A cancel simply clsoed the program; a restatement of the problem, an "Installation ended prematurely because of an error"--a final insult--and then, nothingness. Upon trying to take out the entry in add/remove programs the old game left, the same error occurs.

So, o faithful and wise ones, I throw myself at your mercy. Am I doomed to the inevitable torment that is modern computing? Am I incompatible; have the times surpassed my games of yore?

Or is my computer just royally screwed up?

maybe your hardware isn't compatible fully with XP(it could be and u not knowing about that), dunno u just have to post specs. As for me i run XP Pro(got one big advantage to use XP ultimate tool, forgot how it's called u got that in pro) and blade works flawlesly.:Dlaughlaugh

You should do a clean install of WinXP. Upgrading to WinXP from 9x/ME has been a disaster for most. If you have an internet connection download all the new drivers for your hardware, then just format, reinstall WinXP, and install the new drivers. You should have no problems and Blade will work perfectly.