Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Daedalus

winxp gaming performance

hmmm i think the rtm ver of winxp is still slower than winme in games, im using det 21.8

drivers.

in q3 the speed is same, but in dronez (also opengl) the average fps is bout 7 less than

winme. in winme i got 55 but in xp i got 48

also when im playing hostile waters, in a large battle theres lots of slowdown in xp but im

pretty sure it doesnt happen in winme

has anyone tried other games or can commnet? otherwise ill install winme again and try

Yes it is slower than WinMe but(a little)but it will outperform Win2000 any day(atleast for me) i have final XP Pro !!! Dunno about those betas and RC-s

I haven't compared it to 9x yet, I may never bother to, but it is definatley faster than 2000 for most games.

It should improve as the drivers mature. It just that its a new OS.

it's definately faster then win2k (considerably sometimes) and as for win9x ... I'd rather lose a few fps whilst everything keeps in one piece then to ever go through that BOS hell again.

Stability costs a little it seems...

yeah i know its faster then win2k, win2k is SOOO SLOW FOR GAMES. probabably worst than macOS,

im trying to compare with winme or win98

but arent drivers already mature? i got detonator 4 (21.81) latest from nvidia

My system:

Duron 800@981

geforce 2 pro 32mb (240/400)

asus a7v-133

384mb ram

seagate barracuda III 30gb

SB Live! Value

Intellimouse Explorer

Microsoft Forcefeedback wheel

Logitech wingman extreme

Logitech Wingman Attack

Altec Lansin ACS54 4 speaker system

Logitech Internet Keyboard

Aopen HQ45a case

Drivers:

nvidia 12.41 official (12.90 nvcpl.dll for overclocking)

via 4in1 432

direct x 8

Intellipoint 3.2

No there not mature at all, just look how many different driver versions there are for 9x/ME. Det4 is really the first official XP driver so it can only get better.

Quote:

yeah i know its faster then win2k, win2k is SOOO SLOW FOR GAMES. probabably worst than macOS,

;(

Whats the point? quake 3 does opengl and 3dmark does d3d, if you run them both in the 98/XP you can just do a direct comparason.

(sorry i just read that, sounds a bit disrespectful, not meant like that honest)

I did q3a and 3dmark(both of them) and XP is slower in 3dmark 2000,but in q3a and 3d mark 2001 XP is equal or faster! Tried almost every dets that are out(1290 are the best)...

enio, just curious, what kind of score are you getting in 3dmark 2000 with XP? and whats your spec?

no, i said no q3 or 3dmark because these progs are really supportive and will run same speed in win2k, winme and winxp

but some smaller company made games like hostile waters or dronez may not be this supportive. tats y i want to know

i know i can run q3 as fast as winme, i just want to know if it applies to other games as well. in hostile waters i think winxp is slower cause i feel more slowdown...

Your probably right that hostile waters is slower, but you gotta remember that these games are really being written for use on 9x machines. With the release of XP games developers will optimise it more for NT, so it can only get better.