Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cmmahone

Win 2000 and name resolving problems

Background:

I have a small network at home. I just upgraded WinME to Win 2000 on one box while the other two computers both are WinMe. All three computers are running DHCP and we also have a DSL connection through a five port hub.

After install of Win2000, I mapped some network drives to the two other computers. Later, I rebooted but those two computers were off. This gave me a dialog box asking "What do I want to do?" Mistakenly I checked "don't connect to these computers again" or something to that affect.

Problem:

Whenever I try to access either computer (which I can see in Explorer by name of the computer,) Explorer locks-up.

What I have tried so far:

- I can ping either computer fine.

- The two WinMe computers can talk back and forth fine.

- Checked configurations on LAN card, seem to be according to the text I have read as MS.

- Tried to create a new scope with a spread of ip's but I don't think you can to do that on automatic DHCP, please correct me if I am wrong.

- Tried editing the LMHosts file not the sample by adding the computer name and a known ip.

- Tried to renew all leases, I thought they had to be renewed. Use the ipconfig /renew at the command prompt.

- Looked at the Event Viewer and the only significant DHCP error I could find was this: The IP address lease 192.168.1.100 for the Network Card with network address 0002E31C09B2 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

- Pinging the default Gateway is successful.

- Reinstalling Win 2000.

I think I have a names resolution problem but I am not sure.

My System:

Win 2000 Professional

AMD 1.4Ghz 266Mhz

512Mb RAM

Geforce 3 Vid card

Soundblaster Live

Please let me know if there is any information I still need to provide. Any help in this will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, they are all under the same workgroup.

I am using our last name as a workgroup and each individuals name as the computer name.

This may be a shot in the dark, but it has worked for me when I have networking problems.

Uninstall TCP/IP from the Win2k machine. Reboot. Reinstall TCP/IP, then reboot again.

I will give that a shot later today.

A side question does automatic DHCP or names resolving have anything to do with the problem or are they pretty much side issues?

When you say Explorer hangs, how long do you wait for it to come back? I have a network at home, and when I try and browse the other PCs from my win2k box, it takes forever for it to come back. Try using Start/Run and type in \\computername\sharename and see if that's any quicker.

When Win 2000 hangs in Explorer, I give it about three-four minutes. Then check the Task Manager, it normally says not responding. Then I end the task. Which itself doesn't clear right away either.

Thanks for the help Kgeissler!!! Unistall TCP/IP and reinstall worked. Thanks again for the help!!!

hey JohnnyLaRue

I know what hanging you are talking about and there is a reg hack you can do to get rid of that wait.

run regedit and go here

hkey local machine/software/microsoft/current version/explorer/remote computer/namespace

and delete the key

{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5bF}

and you will notice a difference right away. no need to re-boot.

chow.

Hey thatsteveguy! You're the man. I've seen that fix before, but never remembered to try it when I was at my win2k box, until now. Works great. Many thanks.

BTW, for others reading this, there should be a /windows/ between the /microsoft/ and /current version/.