Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Johnrock

Tribes 2?

Knowing the game itself is fairly buggy, does it work properly under XP? My Win98SE install has played it stable for the most part, but I'm considering the upgrade path to XP.

Any info regarding XP and this game would be appreciated, it's pretty much the only one I play these days..... cool

My system:

ABIT SA6R

PIII 1000Mhz

Adaptec 2940UW SCSI

ASUS V7000 Deluxe (Blue Orb + RAM Sinks) ;(

256MB RAM

Plextor 12/10/32S SCSI CDRW

Plextor UltraPlex SCSI CDROM

(3) Seagate 4.5G SCSI Cheetahs

(1) WD IDE 15G 7200rpm

SB Live Value

3Com 3C905b NIC

Quick and to the point....yes. I have no problems running it under WinXP RC1. (or any previous build for that matter)

I keep getting an UE right on bootup.

I have the latest patch etc. The autoupdate works fine.

Any suggestions

its a great game but it is too damn buggy. If your getting UE errors, try to reinstall from scratch. Tribes 2 can be gay sometimes when patch from a non-clean version.

Any love for the Unhandled Exception errors? I have RC1 running on a AMD athlon 800mhz 384meg of ram. I will update but will not run the game. Any suggestion is appreciated. I have reinstalled a dozen times at least.

Thanks,

Satyr

i dunno its running fine with my specs. The game is too damn tempremental. Make sure that the CRC of the files is fine too. that might be a problem. Or a bad cd, who knows i would say call tech support but they will just give you a run around. It lies with crap programming i guess.

I have the same problems with UE and WinXP 2505. anyone have a solution or will i be going back to win98

I installed Win2K drivers for my TNT2 Nvida and this fixed the issue.

Satyr

I had a similiar problem, that of the infamous "Unhandled Exception" upon starting it.

What fixed it for me was loading up the latest beta drivers for my ATI Radeon, instead of using the default drivers. I seem to recall that most, if not all, of the default drivers for video cards take any OpenGL calls and send them through Direct3D, due to licensing problems ( not to mention that Microsoft is going to be a bit biased in D3D's direction. wink )

I installed T2, Patched it, installed my PJ Scripts. I then doubleclicked my 'Delete DSO's' icon, and the pc Reset!

Back into XP, T2 icons had disappeared. Installed det 12.90's, Nvreffix, went into T2Online only to find NO text whatsoever, I couldn't even see what I was typing into user and PW field. Went in to the SOLO and LAN game, and played first mission, again, no text, couldn't pick flag up, couldn't select armour or vehicles.

Next, I tried to do a repair install, but it kept pointing to my W2k install of T2. If I tried to uninstall it, it also pointed to my W2k install of T2 (use the custom option in the uninstall). So, I deleted my XP install, and copied over my W2k install; Alas no difference. Installed the 7.58's, no difference.

Last ditch attempt (even thought this used to be the first thing I did in W2k - Don't ask) I used the tribes.exe in my W2k install, and it bladdy worked. AND, I have to say, it is smoother than W2k. So now I am pretty chuffed.

Specs below >

Asus CUV4X-D (Bios 1010)

Dual PIII 1 ghz @133

1Gb PC133 SDRam

2 x 75GXP 30.7GB IBM Deskstar ATA100

GTXP 2.02

Gef 2 GTS Pro 32MB DDR (nvidia ref) 12.41 dets

Yamaha 8424sz int SCSI CDRW

Adaptec int ScSI card

10mb Intel ethernet controller

Acer 52x CDRom

Pioneer 16x DVD A05s

iiyama VM Pro 450 19"

MS Intellimouse Explorer USB

MS Sidewinder FF Pro2 USB

MS Sidewinder Gamepad Pro 2 USB

MS Internet Pro KB

USR 56k V.90 Voice/Fax Ext Modem

RatzPad smile

400W PSU

Direct X 8a, VIA 4in1 4.29’s, VIA Usb Patch from sidewinder site.

Triple booting Win98se & W2k Sp1, Sp2 (all critical updates) I.E 5.5 sp1, sp2 and updates. WinXP Rc2

Oh Yeah, as you can see I am using the Hercules GTXP sound card, and I have had to limit my memory to 256 to get it stabe'ish in WXP. I still get screeching sounds on startup and shutdpwn, but ingame it sounds excellent. Hopefully this will be rectified by the RTM ver or Hercules drivers.

Bit gutted that I have to lose 750 MB tho frown