Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Svision

Moving the swap file

i'm getting a new hard drive and was just curious on how i need to to move my swap file to it to improve performance? any registry settings?

thanx

I'm of the opinion that setting your swap file size, and putting it on certain drive really isn't worth it as you'll be very hard pressed to actually notice any difference whatsoever. smile

I have noticed significant performace increases with respect to load times of applicatations and large files (like 3D models in CAD/CAM apps) when I set the min/max to be the same (usually 1-1.5X the amount of RAM up to 256MB MAX) and moving the swap file off of the system partition. However, moving the swap file off of the system partition only to go to a slower drive may actually hurt performance in the end. Just something to think about.

Setting the upper and lower limits for the swap file size certainly makes a difference, because Windows doesn't spend half its time changing the size of the swap file on the fly. It also means the file has less chance to become fragmented.

Surely all of this will result in some overall increase in system speed?

AndyF

and now on HOW to do it:

1. Right-click 'My Computer' on the desktop

2. go to 'Properties'

3. go to 'Advanced' tab

4. click 'Performance Options'

5. under 'Virtual Memory' click 'Change...'

6. highlight the C:\ partition and set a value of 2MB for the initial and maximum sizes. (This is needed to dump memory to when the system crashes)

7. Click 'Set'

8. highlight the partition onto which you want to put the paging file and set a value that is the same for initial size as for maximum size. (eg. 256MB for both)

9. Click 'Set'

hope this helps