Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kyosho46vr

Slow Browse Network Neighbor Hood

OK I have tried taking NetBeui out of my protocals but when I do I cant access machines which are browsing the web using TCP/IP. My Win98 machines browse in a heartbeat!!!

Any thoughts?

Ned

If the IPs on the Win98 boxes are static and you are using NetBIOS names on all the machines (no "dot-coms"), then just use a LMHOSTS file on you Win2k box. Normally, the NT/Win2K boxes look for a browse master and when using Network Neighborhood. Now, one of the 98 boxes was probably the browse master, but when the Win2K box came online, it declared itself the senior machine on the network and became the new browse master. Unfortunately, this means that you have to wait anywhere from 15-60mins for all the machines to get on the new browse master's list. While the 98 boxes will talk to each other when looking for a browse master, the NT\Win2K boxes don't seem to. So, unless you set up a server as your WINS/DHCP/Browse Master on your network, you may be in for long browse requests to come. Just go straight TCP/IP for all the machines, and use a LMHOSTS file (c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc). The file should give you all the instructions that you will need to setup your network. If you have any questions, let me know.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Hi

Using LMHOSTs file is a good solution.

One good idea when using LMHOSTS is to preload the Domain controller's name into the netbios name cache. Use the #pre #dom statements to do this.

------------------

PSM450

Brainbench ‘MVP’ for WinNT Workstation

http://www.brainbench.com

Are your servers in an NT/Novell environment? I found that when using the client32 from novell in a mixed NT/novell environment, browsing can become extremely slow. The microsoft IPX client does not have this problem. If you do use client32, try changing the network access order to have tcp/ip first, then novell. This will speed up browsing the WinNT servers.

I had a seriously slow network connection [but my Internet times were fine] with my old 3com Etherlink III, but when I changed to my new Linksys card, everything was great. Now, I only have TCP/IP installed, and I can see everyone on my network [could see only 2 people before].

I believe enabling Win2K's indexing service might help you as well. This should index the network, as well as your computer's files.

-bZj

------------------

Code:
=====ThugBox=====               =====GimpBox=====Home built system:              Just for fun:Soyo SY-7VCA Mainboard          AST Bravo LC 4/66d[VIA ApolloPro 133A T82C694X]   Intel 486/66MHz CPU[onboard sound]                 40MB RAM [2x16, 2x4]PIII 500E [flip chip]           500MB Conner HddPNY 128MB PC100 RAM             3 1/2, 5 1/4, 2x CDROMOEM 128MB PC133 RAM             3com Etherlink II [Ext.Transcvr]Stealth III S540 Video          Windows 95 [v4.00.1111]LinkSys NC100v2 Ethernet        pcAnywhere 9.2Adaptec AHA-1535A SCSI          [so I can leave it in the closet]Quantum Fireball 10.3GB Hdd     2 DEC SCSI Hdds [~3.5GB total]  NEC 3x SCSI CDROM [Ext.w/Caddy] HP A4331D 20" Monitor           Logitec MouseMan [Compaq]       ^in about 12 peices on my floor^Win2K Pro [v5.00.2195, SP-1]    [Will be installing Linux][format => clean install]       Norton AntiVirus 2000           Covad 768kbps sDSL w/3com switch & Flowpoint Router [sharedx6]

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 05 September 2000).]

Indexing service deals with local files only by default. You can create other indexes if you wish, but it would not be advisable. In addition, that would not speed up the browsing function as you would be indexing a mapped drive or a specific UNC.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Good to know. I guess I can atribute my new-found quick network to my new Ethernet card, and not running all that extra crap [TCP/IP rules].

-bZj