Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Heino

Network Question

Hi!

I use a WIN98SE/WIN2K system. Under 98 no problem to find all computers in my LAN. But under WIN2K, I am the only PC in my Lan. When I search for e.g. my linux-server, WIN find him.......any ideas?

Thx for ur help!

Jan

Most likely it is a WORKGROUP vs. DOMAIN problem..

Are you connecting to a domain? If so, then you need to set up both OS's to look at the domain and not the workgroup. If you are on a workgroup, win2k tends to create a workgroup by the name you typed in for the computer name. In win2k, you will have to go to the network identification and change it from the computer's name workgroup to the workgroup name that everybody uses.

If you are running a client/server type network, I would suggest using a making the server a PDC and having the clients log onto the server. It isnt very difficult to set up, and much smoother than workgroups.

Jeff

Thx for ur advice!

But after 2years with windows, I´m still a newbie....so, I don´t really understand how to configure my LAN-Connection.

Our workgroupname is Powerlan. I use a DNS to get an internet connection.

How can I change the computer's name workgroup to the workgroup name?

Thanks.

Jan

Thx for ur advice!

But after 2years with windows, I´m still a newbie....so, I don´t really understand how to configure my LAN-Connection.

Our workgroupname is Powerlan. I use a DNS to get an internet connection.

How can I change the computer's name workgroup to the workgroup name?

Thanks.

Jan

Right click "my computer", choose "network identification" tab, click on "properties". you will see a choice for "domain" and "workgroup". in the "workgroup" area type in the name of the workgroup you are all using. do this with all the computers in the workgroup. then you can complete all your network shares and permissions.

using server and creating a domain is more efficient and secure, but if you only have several computers on your lan you can manage with a workgroup instead. you can't have more than 10 members of a workgroup if you are only using win2k professional, and you shouldn't have more than 10 if you have win2k server because a domain is easier to manage.

if you are using a proxy to connect to the internet, make sure it is a computer with windows 2000. win9.x has too many open ports. unless you want to add a firewall to one of your 9.x boxes.

apologies. that was supposed to be: right click on "my computer", choose "properties"

then the rest.

I´ve already done this.

All other computer of the LAN are using WIN98SE, our server is a linux server with a firewall installed.

But I have forgotten something: it was possible to find the other computer in the workgroup without searching for them!

I've had similar problems. I live in a fraternity house, and our network *should* only use TCP/IP, but I couldn't see any one with only this installed. At one point [after installing NetBUEI and IPX], I was able to see all but one other computer, then, I changed the name of my personal file server [see below], it gets the error: "Net work not accessible", and my Win2K box can only see my self and one other computer on the network. I can search for other computers, and find them, and I can pcAnywhere into my fileserver, but I only see myself and the other guy. And, the others can see me just fine. Any ideas? I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling IPX and NetBUEI, but no change.

[edit]

I should mention that one other person in the house is running Win2K [server], all others are on Win98se [or should be], I think.

[/edit]

-bZj

------------------

- brian@infinitejones.com

Code:
==================             ===================Home built system:             Also, just for fun:Soyo SY-7VCA                   AST Bravo LC 4/66d[VIA T82C694X]                 Intel 486/66MHz CPU[onboard sound]                40MB RAM [2x16, 2x4]PIII 500E [flip chip]          500 MB Conner HddPNY 128MB PC100 RAM            3 1/2, 5 1/4, 2x CDStealth III S540               3com Etherlink II3com Etherlink III             Adaptec AHA-1545 SCSIQuantum Fireball 10.3GB Hdd    [to host some files on:]HP A4331D 20" Monitor          1.3GB internal SeagateWin2K Pro [v5.00.2195, SP-1]   2 2GB external Seagates[format => clean install]      Windows 95 [v4.00.1111]Norton AntiVirus 2000          pcAnywhere 9.2Covad 768kbps sDSL [shared]    [so I can leave it in the closet]

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 17 August 2000).]