Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MiShY

Network Security

Hey,

I'm using BlackICE now because ZoneAlarm hadn't at the time of my installing the network had any protection for NAT networking.

I'm using WinRoute Pro - hence the NAT - to share my internet connection.

Protocols being used to link the computers - TCP/IP and NetBEUI (I also share one drive from each computer).

I ran Steve Gibsons "Probe My Ports" test and most of the scanned ports were in Stealth Mode.

However, these ports were "Closed". Which I know does not give someone access like an "Open" port. But like the site said it might invite a persistant hacker to at least try to scan me again at a later date. Unlike a port in "Stealth Mode" obviously.

These ports were "Closed" ::::

Https

IDENT

My question is ... Is there anyway to close these ports further using BlackICE, or WinRoute, or perhaps Windows itself ?????

My Network ::::

1xWin98SE (Client) 1xWin2k (Pro)

WinRoute ICS

NetBEUI, TCP/IP, File&Print Sharing

Passworded drives

Passworded Access to Win2k machine through User designation.

Disabled Guest Account

Also, do you know of any good sites dealing with Win2k security specifically ????????

Thanks,

MiShY

Hey,

I've managed to sort this one out....

I have removed the NetBIOS I was using by making my LAN use the TCP/IP protocol, and I've also tightened up the security against spoofing etc. on WinRoute.

I did the "Probe My Ports" test again and I passed with flying colours. ie/. ALL Stealth !!

Yippeeeeeee !!!!!

MiShY

spoofing ips is VERY rearly used so you shouldnt worry bout that a lot..but if you really are a sucker for security you might wanna check into linux and ipchains..free and secure