Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MiShY

Wingate - Do I feel dumb or what !! - Help !!!

Hey,

I've downloaded and registered the Pro version (aint no different to the home version except a few extras) and am trying to set up Internet Connection Sharing between both this computer (Win2kPro) and my other comp (Win98SE).

I have followed the instructions to a "T" and can ping both computers IP addresses.

BUT whenever I go to install the Client half of Wingate it can never detect the Wingate Server on the other computer.

I am running the server on Win2k - the client on Win98SE.

Please HELP I've been doing this for the last 3 hours lol

Thanks,

MiShY - Had it working once in 3 hours before it conked out :o(

...and now I can't even ping both computers :o(

I can ping server to client. But not client to server.

The only protocol I have installed are TCP/IP and I have Client for MSNetworks installed too.

Any ideas anyone ???????????????????????

MiShY

I've been using winroute now for a couple of weeks and it's sweet

set up a network with private IP's and install winroute - choose your ISp from the maintanance box and voila

I've never seen a smarter piece of software

I'm a convert from wingate anyway

give it a go www.winroute.com

Mishy, don't use ICS. Its a total pain, and messes up your comps. The easiest way to share internet between your two computers is to use WinProxy. It is easily configured. Actually when you install it, it tells you which addresses to assign your NIC cards and the subnet.

Just make sure all your computers can see each other on the network. Peer to Peer IP is the easiest. Then install WinProxy on the computer with the internet connection, and carefully read the text info it generates.

MOST importantly before doing any of this is to uninstall ICS before anything.

Hey,

Thanks for your replies.

Until I can get both computers to be able to ping each other I can't use either of your suggestions unfortunately.

It does all sting at the back of my throat that after I've bought Wingate it might not be as good as suggested frown

Anyway, any help on my ping problem would be greatly appreciated smile

MiShY

Hey,

OK I've got both computers pinging each other ok.

Problem now is is that Wingate Client won't detect ANY Wingate servers on the network frown

I'm using version 4.01 Pro.

Can anyone please help ???????????

Thanks,

MiShY

WOOOHOOO some success at last !!!!

My client has now managed to realise that I have a Wingate client on my network.

Ok, so here's the bad news lol

When I open IE the client connects to the server but won't go to any websites whatsoever.

It's like it's aimlessly looking for something it isn't going to find.

Any ideas ??????????

MiShY

MoreLight there nothing wonrg with ICS I been use it well over 11/2yrs now.

Setup ICS is so eazy

1: Frist you need make dail-up connections the best way is to use Internet Connection Wizard, test dail-up frist.

2: Go to Start | Network and Dial-up Connections | on that dail-up connections you just made rigth click on you see a tab called Shareing click on then check the box all done have fun.

Problem solved. Thanks to all who helped !!!!

I ended up downloading WinRoute and I've got both these computers connected just about right now smile

Thanks again !!!

MiShY