Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jjcohen

Fedora Core 1, kernel 2.6.0 mouse locks up

I installed the 2.6.0 kernel in a new Fedora core installation. Everything works but when I load the mouse driver (psmouse), and then move the mouse just a few times, the whole machine locks up.

I've tried disabling acpi (both in the kernel configuration and on the boot command line) and building a non-preemptible configuration.

The m/b is a Gigabyte GA-7N400 (Nvidia chipset), and I suspect that has something to do with it, because I have the software on another machine that has a Via chipset, and I have no problems whatsoever.

A usb mouse works ok, but I can't use it on this machine because I need to use a KVM switch (which doesn't support a usb mouse.).

What are you disabling ACPI or APIC? They are two completely different things. Try disabling APIC as well, both in the BIOS and on the kernel command line (noapic nolapic) and seeing what happens.

Thanks, but that still didn't work. As soon as I move the mouse, the whole system just locks up.

I tried patching up to kernel 2.6.1-rc1; the changelog indicated some improvements to psmouse.

I got the following to display:

psmouse.c: Explorer Mouse at isa0060/serio/input0 lost synchronization, throwing X bytes away (where is 1, 2 or 3)

Well, if anybody cares, I finally solved the problem with a ps2-usb converter cable - about $15.00.